Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello,
This is my first real build. All is assembled and I get no BIOS screen. I think it might be the wrong graphics card or memory. Any lower end inexpensive plug n play answers so I can see my bios would be awesome!

Antec 1200
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev 2.0
Phenom II x6
Patriot Dual 4gb modules PGV38G1333ELK DDR3 1333MHZ (9-9-9-24)
1 TB SATA (BLANK)

I have an old IDE DVD rom installed and will not power on when IDE cable is plugged in. I plan on installing a Matrox quad PCI card in the bottom slot until I can afford something major. I feel I am starting off well with the basics though.

Solution
Before you go buying a bunch of new hardware, let's do a little more troubleshooting. It might be something real simple. Here's a great checklist that you should go through. Make sure to go through each step.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

#2 is very common. Look at your motherboard. There is a blue cap that say's 'ultra durable' on it, near the CPU socket. Right behind that, is an 8 pin port. The PSU will have a 4 or 8 pin plug that needs to be plugged in there.

Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Further details, No beep when start up. I have tried many different PCI cards from older machines. Is the memory I bought correct for this MOBO? I have disconnected all HD's and peripherals. Still no Bios. I did go to best buy and picked up a cheap PNY Geforce 8400 PCIe and that also did not boot the bios on the monitor. If anyone is out there please tell me if I bought the wrong ram and or anything else. I have been playing with pentium 4's for a long while and have swapped hardware using thermal compound and no static. I am not a total Luddite.. Just need some pointers if possible.

Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks for the reply wielander,

The Antec 1200 came with a 750 watt PSU. Could that be the problem?
I have been switching them about. Hoping for a bios screen to no avail. The motherboard lights up and there is no beeping at all. It will not power off by holding down the on/off switch. Similar to this thread but the MOBO is powered up and different hardware.

Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Thanks for the reply wielander,

I have been switching them about. The motherboard lights up and there is no beeping at all. It will not power off. Similar to this thread but the MOBO is powered up and different hardware.

wielander

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Make sure you don't have anything unnecessary attached to the motherboard (hard drives, DVD Drives, flash disks. I've had the same symptoms before; a usb flash drive was corrupted and messing up the post. I would guess that it's a bad motherboard if it still doesn't work with everything unnecessary unplugged.

Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Thanks again, I will add a couple new 2gb sticks of sgkill I found are known to be compatible and might even order a baby board for a future build. It has to be P II x6 compatible though. Any suggestions would be sweet if you are an x6 kinda man.. I have an Antec 1200 with 750 PSU. And that patriot ram, and 2 1600 DDR3's coming in the mail.

Before you go buying a bunch of new hardware, let's do a little more troubleshooting. It might be something real simple. Here's a great checklist that you should go through. Make sure to go through each step.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

#2 is very common. Look at your motherboard. There is a blue cap that say's 'ultra durable' on it, near the CPU socket. Right behind that, is an 8 pin port. The PSU will have a 4 or 8 pin plug that needs to be plugged in there.

Solution

Pullback

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010

Brother.. The love is flowing like leaf blower on 220 at 30 amps! I will go over this in the morning and probably kick myself for this. I feel guilty already after peeking at it. I will also pass this link on to any new prospective builders I see around here, there and everywhere.. Might even make a good signature.. Cheers! This is one of the greatest sites online in english and you all are the spine and muscle of this operation.

Thanks guys.. will report back!

TRENDING THREADS