GA-8N-SLI Pro won't allow optical drives to work in DMA

shav

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hi all,
wondering if somebody can help me. Basically for some reason, I cannot get any DVD drive to work in DMA transfer mode over IDE.
I've tried 2 drives, NEC 4571A (UDMA 2 transfer) and Hitachi GD5000 (DMA multi word 2 transfer). I've put these drives into another PC and they work fine so nothing wrong with the drives.
I'm using a fresh install of XP SP2 so nothing wrong with OS and I haven't installed any other drivers on top of it. I've also tried this hardrive in the other PC and working fine with drives so can rule out problems with XP.
Therefore that only leaves the BIOS or physical mobo as the source of the problem. I've tried 2 seperate 80 ribbon IDE cables to the 2 different IDE ports on mobo with no joy. I've ran memtest on RAM for 1 hour through 4 cycles so would leave me to think nothing with RAM.
I've cleared the CMOS by removing battery for 20 minutes and using the F2 BIOS that came with board. I've tried using the fail safe settings from BIOS. Upon boot up, the BIOS recognizes the drives are DMA. So does the OS, it onlys when I insert disk into drive, the NEC drive reverts back to PIO and the Hitachi drive freezes the system. If I set both drives to PIO in OS, they work in PIO mode.
The one strange thing is the harddisk also operates in DMA mode (UDMA 2) so nothing wrong with DMA transfer mode.

The problem is simply that the BIOS/mobo won't allow the optical drives to work in DMA mode. Any help, greatly apprecited
Cheers
Shav

shav

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hey,
tried that several times, no joy. One thing I've noticed using Gigabyte EasyTune is that the VcoreA voltage is at around 1.34, do you know what correct value for VcoreA should be? Likewise 3.3V voltage is at 3.2V. Should these values be higher?