GA-965P-DQ6 Crossfire

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
According to an email I received from Gigabyte tech support, you should be able to run crossfire on this motherboard. Has anyone actually tried it? What were the results?

vsamaco

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
You can, but the cards will run x16 and x4. The 975x boards do x8, x8. Probably a better option is 7950gx2 instead of sli.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Thanks for you response. I have a DQ6, and after a few false starts getting memory to work in it - this board works really really well. But I really had to tune it to get to to work right.

I'm hoping someone else will be the test pilot for Crossfire.

dirtmobile

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Unfortunately Crossfire has not worked for me and is currently driving me a little insane. I had just purchased all the components and was ready to build my first uber gaming rig. Unfortunately, I soon as I powered the computer on it would just hang and would not go into POST (PSU / HD / DVD are powered on), the CPU fan is not on. At some points it would power on, the CPU fan would go on and off then it would repeat.

After some troubleshooting, I found out that it was one of the cards that were preventing the computer to go into POST. With just the defective card it did not boot. So I had the card replaced.

Got the new card. Same issue. With both cards in the computer will not go into POST. But this time around the computer will boot with either card plugged in independently.

I plugged both cards into an older motherboard that supported crossfire using the same PSU and it did boot without an issue.

Do I have a funky motherboard? Have I missed something here? Any help would be great.

Relevant Specs:
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad x6600
Memory - OCZ 2GB (2x1GB - DDR2 - 1066MHz)
PSU - Enermax Galaxy 850W
Video - 2 x ATI Radeon HD 2900 XL