GA-965P-DQ6 Dual Channel Issue

khaz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I have a DQ6 with Supertalent RAM (1Gx2|STT DII800 T800UX2GC4) in a new system. Full disclosure - the Supertalent is not on the 'approved' list for the DQ6.

After setting up everything, including the ram in slots 1 and 3 per the manual, I kept getting lock ups any time I loaded the system. This is 2.2v ram, and I have +.4v in the bios at 1:1. I've set the timings at 4-4-3-8, loosened them, and left it on auto. I updated the bios to f8 and it didn't help, so I went to memtest86+ and that locked up also.

Each stick by itself passed in memtest86 and both also in slots 1 & 2 (no dual channel). AHAH, I think I finally isolated the issue after much frustration. Super pi and prime 95 also check out under these variations. After seeing some of the posts about the f8 bios, I rolled back to f7 but still have the problem.

So here is my dilemna:

Do I RMA the board or live with it?

If I live with it, what is the possibility that the problem is with the chipset and not just a compatability issue? Is there anything else I can try short of buying different ram? If its the chipset, there should be other symptoms besides just dual channel right?

Any help is much appreciated.

khaz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
On further testing, using two sticks with the 2nd in any slot does not stand up to memtest86 for long. I will try 1.8v next.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Sounds like you've pretty much tried all options, I wouldnt run your mem below recommended voltage mind, cant see much good in it.

However, tests I would do using a single run of memtest (some of which you already have):

Both sticks in non dual channel banks i.e one even number and one odd number.
Single stick in each of the 4 banks (to test the mem port - not just the memory)
Both sticks in ports 1&3 and then 2&4.

By the end of this you'd have done everything to ascertain whether the problem lies with the memory or the banks or simply the incompatibility on that mobo with dual channel.

PS - dont overclock with any of these tests.

khaz

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks jizumonkey, that was great advice. It was dual channel incompatibility on the board and it is now on its way back to Newegg.