GA-965P-DS4 faint crackling noises from on-board sound chip

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
GA-965P-DS4, like the heading says, built-in sound chip makes random faint crackling noises, akin to static electricity, when playing back DVDs or on-demand Internet TV. What's particularly odd is that these noises persist even when playing back through an external DAC, connected via the optical S/PDIF output. They would thus appear to originate in the digital domain. Same DVD played in my DVD player sounds fine. Is anyone else having this problem? Any idea what causes this? Any solution or workaround? Might a discrete sound card cure this?

Mondoman

Splendid
To see if it's a hardware problem or a software (likely driver) problem, try booting from and running something like an Ubuntu "live" CD. This allows you to run an Ubuntu Linux session using everything *except* the hard drives on your system, so no lasting changes are made. It does, however, load the normal Linux drivers for your various hardware systems, so playing back some digital sound files under Linux should help point you in the right direction.

FH

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2004
OK, I've done that. Problem does not happen in Ubuntu. Under Windows I also:

Updated audio drivers to 1.72 (from Gigbyte), then to 1.79 (direct from Realtek).

Muted all non-essential inputs and outputs in the volume control and (Control Panel) Realtek configuration screens.

Physically removed the wireless network PCI card I had in the machine.

Tried various BIOS settings, including removal of overclocking, disabling C1E and EIST (advanced Speedstep) and setting everything to fail-safe defaults.

Checked IRQ settings on POST screen. The only "Multimedia" device, which I presume must be the sound chip, already had it's own IRQ, 14. I then reserved IRQ 14 in the BIOS for other purposes, which forced IRQ reassignment across the board with the result that the "Multimedia" device still had it's own, but different, IRQ.

NONE OF THIS HAS MADE ANY DIFFERENCE!

The best way to describe the problem by the way is that the machine sounds like an old vinyl record. This comes and goes and it varies in it's intensity over time, but affects all sound, Windows system sounds, DVD-playback, etc.

Where do I go next? No, Ubuntu will not become my primary OS...

TRENDING THREADS