Question GA-990FXA-UD3 BIOS settings help

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Hello All, I own a GA-990FXA-UD3 (v 3.0) motherboard in a complete system. I am attempting to try different settings in the BIOS, but some settings cannot be adjusted. I would like to adjust certain settings to default first and then set to manual later.
I believe I would first load defaults and save then set to XMP for the ram kit that I have installed. When I do this the CPU speed slows down from its default of about 3.5 GHz down to 2.2 GHz (according to User benchmark software). It was on this
website that I was advised to enable XMP for my memory and when I experienced worse performance in the benchmark. I did a google search and found a video that advised to change the CPU multiplier (this setting will not change). I assume this
CPU or BIOS version does not allow for certain adjustments or is locked somehow. I realize this set up is a bit out of date, but it does work as a general purpose PC. I will next list the PC specs in detail if there is someone who can shed some light on
this problem for me.
Full Specifications:
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 (v4.0)
CPU: FX6300
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1650 4GB driver 461.09
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 2 x 4 GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus 650 watt
SSD: Samsung 640 500 GBIOS version: F3A or F4A will update to make sure.
More infor to follow along with any updates.
thanks in advance Matt

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
Hello All, I own a GA-990FXA-UD3 (v 3.0) motherboard in a complete system. I am attempting to try different settings in the BIOS, but some settings cannot be adjusted. I would like to adjust certain settings to default first and then set to manual later.
I believe I would first load defaults and save then set to XMP for the ram kit that I have installed. When I do this the CPU speed slows down from its default of about 3.5 GHz down to 2.2 GHz (according to User benchmark software). It was on this
website that I was advised to enable XMP for my memory and when I experienced worse performance in the benchmark. I did a google search and found a video that advised to change the CPU multiplier (this setting will not change). I assume this
CPU or BIOS version does not allow for certain adjustments or is locked somehow. I realize this set up is a bit out of date, but it does work as a general purpose PC. I will next list the PC specs in detail if there is someone who can shed some light on
this problem for me.
Full Specifications:
MOBO: GA-990FXA-UD3 (v4.0)
CPU: FX6300
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1650 4GB driver 461.09
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 2 x 4 GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus 650 watt
SSD: Samsung 640 500 GBIOS version: F3A or F4A will update to make sure.
More infor to follow along with any updates.
thanks in advance Matt
Here is more information on the BIOS setting with the F4a BIOS (don't know where this version came from- bought through Amazon seller).
MIT STATUS: BCLK 200.99 MHz
CPU FREQ: 3515.00 MHz RAM FREQ: 1339.96MHz. CPU TEMP: 29.0 degrees C VCORE: 1.29V DRAM V: 1.47V CPU CLK RATIO: 17.5 XMP STATUS: disabled. Cool and quiet is disabled along with other power saving features

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
It's been awhile since I worked with a Gigabyte board and the BIOS they use, but some items require directly typing in a value rather than picking from a popup menu.
Ok I did use the numbers in the timings section and they were not right according to recommended values then booted up again and I now can use page up/down to adjust the clock multiplier as well thanks guy. I will try various settings as advised to keep this stable and strong thanks again.
It appears my ram is running very slowwwwww. 666MHz and the CPU is now at least staying at 3.5 and no boost at all is reported in "user benchmark software" Improved results but far from perfect.
Anyone have any ideas on bios settings and maybe where I can find BIOS update other than F3 on gigabyte main site? Some other settings are still not changing from the default AUTO??? Help??

Last edited:

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I believe the RAM is rated to run at 1600MHz because it has the numbers 1600 on the ram package. I will copy the full number at next restart. OK, so after enabling XMP I did leave the "System memory multiplier" set to auto. So I assume auto was the wrong setting and have bumped it up to 6.66 multiplier(auto,4.0,5.33,6.66 and 8.0)using the page up/down button. With this multiplier the memory should be running at 1332MHz? I guess I actually should be at the 8.00 setting to run the RAM at 1600MHz. The only thing I can assume is the base clock is 200MHz and the multiplier is 8.00 so 200.0 x 8.0 = 1600MHz So why is User benchmark software reporting the ram is 666MHz RAM? Also what was the multiplier when the setting was on AUTO? I will try 8.0 next on the multiplier to see if there is improvement in the BMark software rating. Thanks for the help Crosslhs82x2 your the best.

I believe the RAM is rated to run at 1600MHz because it has the numbers 1600 on the ram package. I will copy the full number at next restart. OK, so after enabling XMP I did leave the "System memory multiplier" set to auto. So I assume auto was the wrong setting and have bumped it up to 6.66 multiplier(auto,4.0,5.33,6.66 and 8.0)using the page up/down button. With this multiplier the memory should be running at 1332MHz? I guess I actually should be at the 8.00 setting to run the RAM at 1600MHz. The only thing I can assume is the base clock is 200MHz and the multiplier is 8.00 so 200.0 x 8.0 = 1600MHz So why is User benchmark software reporting the ram is 666MHz RAM? Also what was the multiplier when the setting was on AUTO? I will try 8.0 next on the multiplier to see if there is improvement in the BMark software rating. Thanks for the help Crosslhs82x2 your the best.
Yes, base clock (FSB) is normally 200MHz, it can be adjusted slightly but that also impacts CPU, RAM and PCIe frequency which could introduce some instability.
FSB * CPU multiplier = Cpu frequency
FSB * RAM multiplier = RAM frequency
FSB also changes PCIe frequency and that may produce problems with GPU and SATA ports, if you change FSB frequency make sure that PCIe is set too 100MHZ.
RAM is DDR3 (Double Data Rate) so report of 666MHz means actually 1333MHz effective speed.
I haven't fired my other system with that MB and FX 6350 for a while, I can check it today if you need more info.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

ColorfulMatt0291

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I have decided to list the BIOS settings I have now in order to assist others with the same Motherboard. I also have the part number of the ram that I am using now its the Corsair Vengeance LP (low profile) CML8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 8 GB (2x4GB) timings are 9-9-9-24 at 1.5 volts.
Here are the BIOS settings I have in the various categories of the Gigabyte UEFI Dual BIOS. M.I.T SECTION>ADVANCED FREQUENCY SETTINGS:
BCLK > AUTO (200MHz)-----CPU NORTHBRIDGE FREQUENCY>AUTO(2000MHz)------HT LINK FREQUENCY>AUTO(2600MHz)----CPU CLOCK RATIO>18.00(up from 17.5)-----CPU FREQUENCY>3.6GHz(up from 3.5GHz)-----EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE X.M.P.>PROFILE1 OR ENABLED ------SYSTEM MEMORY MULTIPLIER>8.0(up from auto which did not work) FREQUENCY=1600MHz.
FROM THE M.I.T. MAIN SCREEN GO TO ADVANCED MEMORY SETTINGS PRESS ENTER(or double click) double click on the CHANNEL A TIMING SETTINGS> CAS LATENCY>9(prev auto)---tRCD>9(up from auto)---tRP>9(auto)tRAS>24(auto)--tRC>41(auto)
tCMD AUTO or 2 but i left it at auto for now. more to follow