GA-990XA-UD3 Fan speed low after sleep mode

Akti

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Hi!

I'm running a Hyper 212 EVO cooler with an AMD FX-6300 CPU.
My motherboard is GA-990XA-UD3 REV 3.0
I'm running the latest BIOS update version FEh

The problem is that after waking up from sleep the fan speed is only 300 RPM thus making the cpu heat up quite a bit.
The fan should be running from 600-1600 RPM.

Speedfan shows temperature for Temp3 as -128 celcius after waking from sleep mode but when booting normally from complete shutdown or waking from hibernate instead of sleep the temperature reads correctly and says around 18-30 celcius depending on the load.

I'm thinking that the system thinks the temp is -128 celcius thus slowing the fan speed down to 300 RPM.

And as stated before when booting up normally from a complete shutdown or waking from hibernate instead of sleep mode the temperature is around 18-30 celcius and the fan is spinning 800-1100 RPM and adjusting itself accordingly to the load.

I didn't find any settings in the BIOS that could affect this and this only happens when resuming from sleep.
The fan speed is set to normal mode in bios and mobo adjusts the speed depending on the load.
I have tried disabling hybrid sleep from power management settings but does not seem to have an effect.

PICTURES:

Here is speedfan after booting the computer from complete shutdown or from hibernate.
Everything is normal.
eUAbfEz.png

Here is speedfan after resuming the computer from sleep mode.
The Temp3 reading is now negative and fan speed is affected.
PO6KzxI.png

Any tips / suggestions?

QUICK EDIT:
My operating system is Windows 8.1

Akti

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Yes I have set the fan control mode to PWM from bios.
And just to clarify this only happens when resuming from sleep.

lakejen

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
Hi dude,

I have problem with cpu fan (noctua d15) not starting at all when pc wakes up. Will check it out further later today.

Im using pwm mode in bios because its what works best with the fans. If i set it to auto they rev up and down constantly, i guess becajw eits voltage controlled.

ZuluBravo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Hi! I gave exactly the same problem!
My rpms after sleep mode were 300-600.
mobo is GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0)
Bios F3
CPU FX 8120 (125 W TDP)
Cooler is Hyper 212X (EU ver.) 600-1,700 RPM ± 10%

I accidentally discovered this, my temps were 71C per core but overall it was 45C deg maybe, and rpm was 300.
temps per core are usually lower than main cpu temp, I was very confused and dissappointed to see this... any solutions?

JacobDrury

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016

This fixed my problem as well! Thank you! Running a AMD FX-8350

astrofix

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

how did you solve this? i have the exactly same issue both in windows 7 and now in windows 10, so up till now i had to disable sleep mode, otherwise my cpu would be cooked... to be honest i havent tried to play with fan bios settings (i have it on disable, so my fan always rotates at maximum speed) but i dont think that there is the problem... any update on your case?
(btw i have GA-990xa UD3 with Feh bios version, should i downgrade bios to FD version??? anyone, please only if you are sure, thx)

update: yep it works apparently! i downgraded it from Feh to FD bios version

ZuluBravo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016

I have not solved it, i just avoid sleep mode

astrofix

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
i 'downgraded' my bios, and it works like a charm now for months... it's quite practical to have the 'sleep' mode so i suggest you try something like that as well