Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hello,

I was just wondering if I can use the CPU without updating BIOS. It seems compatible on Gigabyte's site however, with different BIOS versions. I have sent a ticket to Gigabyte about this but I also wanted to ask here. I don't know how I can update bios without getting another CPU and I don't want to send my motherboard and wait like weeks before I setup my hardware, every component is ready but I don't want to do trial and error.

Here is my ticket to Gigabyte

" I have bought a brand new A320M-H motherboard along with AMD Athlon 200GE CPU. I am not sure if I have to update BIOS before the installation.

Is there any way to check or update BIOS version of the motherboard without installing a compatible CPU since it is impossible for me to get one. "AMD Boot Kit" is not supported where I live and the store I bought do not provide BIOS updating service on that matter.

I have attached the details of the motherboard I bought.

Thank you, "

View: https://imgur.com/a/bHrgUi8

I may have to RMA depending on the situation so I will have better chances without unboxing the CPU and the motherboard

Solution
Any BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 will support your CPU. So if is says it's ready for Ryzen 3k on the box you're good to go. Especially if you're confident of the board manufacture date, which would mean the board was produced a good ~5 months after the BIOS to support your CPU was released.

Lutfij

Titan
I would ask you to return it to seller and pick up a B350 chipset motherboard. With all the headache you're already facing with this board, might as well just get a board that supports it out of the box sans any BIOS updates before or after the board purchase.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
It seems like I am likely to do so but B350 boards are way too expensive here, I live in a 3rd world country and pricings are a bit weird. Not to mention every dollar is six times more expensive. I hope there might be another option for me.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I would ask you to return it to seller and pick up a B350 chipset motherboard. With all the headache you're already facing with this board, might as well just get a board that supports it out of the box sans any BIOS updates before or after the board purchase.
You'd need a B450 to guarantee BIOS support out of the box.

Unless Gigabyte is able to confirm the BIOS version it comes with based on serial number or something, I don't know of any way to check short of opening it up and trying.

Do you have a local computer shop? You could ask them if they're able to update the BIOS for you if it turns out it needs it. Or you could go to a local retailer and look for any affordable motherboards that have a "ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on them.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
You'd need a B450 to guarantee BIOS support out of the box.

Unless Gigabyte is able to confirm the BIOS version it comes with based on serial number or something, I don't know of any way to check short of opening it up and trying.

Do you have a local computer shop? You could ask them if they're able to update the BIOS for you if it turns out it needs it. Or you could go to a local retailer and look for any affordable motherboards that have a "ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on them.

The box of my motherboard does say that its Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready however, with bios update. It also says Ryzen 1000, 2000 series compatible. I checked the CPU support list, The BIOS versions of those CPUs are F40 for 3000s, F1 for 2000s and F30 for Athlon 200G. F1 Bios is the earliest version according to here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-H-rev-11/support#support-cpu

I learned that my motherboard was manufactured in 38th week of 2019 according to the serial number. (Which can be seen from the label SN1938xxxxxx) Now I have some hope if I'm lucky according to this:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...the-latest-bios-update.3416519/#post-20684129

I noticed that if the BIOS is updated from the first version to second ( F1 to F2) the description states that "Improve performance on Athlon 200-series APU" so, can we assume that the mobo is already compatible with Athlon 200ge ?
It can be seen from the bottom of the page here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-A320M-H-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios

There are some controversies though, due to the release dates of the CPUs and the early BIOS version dates of the mobo

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Any BIOS that supports Ryzen 3000 will support your CPU. So if is says it's ready for Ryzen 3k on the box you're good to go. Especially if you're confident of the board manufacture date, which would mean the board was produced a good ~5 months after the BIOS to support your CPU was released.

Solution

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Well, I got a response to my ticket

"Hi Sir

It needs at least F30 bios to support Athlon 200GE CPU.

If it is not supported with your Athlon 200GE CPU, it will not boot up.

The only way is bring the board back to the store you bought and ask them to update the bios for you.

Please install it to check first.

Best Regards,"

GIGABYTE

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Just had the time to install my system, and yay! It works without a BIOS update. The manufacture date of my board is correct (September 2019) and it has the F42 version of BIOS. My processor runs with no worries although my PSU (300w Slim) only had 4 pin CPU connector. Since Athlon 200GE runs on low power, 4pin is enough like I found the info on the internet. I haven't run a benchmark in my HTPC yet. But I won't be gaming on that.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
That's great! It still doesn't hurt to update to the latest BIOS though. I know some people portray it as being risky, but as long as you take a couple precautions it's fine.

Basically, make sure your PC won't lose power during the update, so don't do it in the middle of a storm. If you live somewhere with frequent brown/blackouts you may not want to do it unless you have a UPS.

That, and always perform the update from within the BIOS, not with any utility in Windows.