Reputable
Nov 14, 2017
Hello!
I hae a system:
GA-ep45cds3 (f6a bios)
q9400 cpu
hd 6790 gpu
and 2x2 gb kingston dr2 ram.

I wanted to upgrade the ram and bought 2x4gb samsung m378t5263az3-cf7 sticks.
PC2-6400u-666-12-e3

It starts up i get the "ok" ding, i see the enter bios stuff, but after that it restarts.
What i read this ram is supported by my MB.
Any ideas?

Solution
4 GB DIMMS on Intel, that might not even be compatible.
Those 4GB DDR2 sticks are often advertised as "AMD only", for a good reason.
The AMD chips using DDR2 are "extended" when it comes to the physical address line per RAM page. They got 11 while the standard says 10.
So AMD literally turned it up to eleven to allow bigger modules than designated.
Memory manufacturers guarantee memory in the form in which it is sold and not in multiple combinations and in combinations with other brands.

The results of the combination you made are typical. You are free to do your own compatibility testing.

Some workarounds for getting multiple kits working together include:
Lowering memory frequency
Relaxing DRAM timings
Increasing DRAM voltage
lowering CPU multiplier

As I recall, motherboards with that P45 Chipset require additional voltage to the MCH (Memory Controller Hub) when using the amount of memory you list.

sleepyhun

Reputable
Nov 14, 2017
Thank you Calvin i will try to increase voltages and then put them in.
And i only use the new kit, 2x4 i leave the 2x2 out, as its a different frequency.

I tried to increase mch voltage from 1.1 to up to 1.220 but it wont work. Im afraid to increase it more.

4 GB DIMMS on Intel, that might not even be compatible.
Those 4GB DDR2 sticks are often advertised as "AMD only", for a good reason.
The AMD chips using DDR2 are "extended" when it comes to the physical address line per RAM page. They got 11 while the standard says 10.
So AMD literally turned it up to eleven to allow bigger modules than designated.

Solution