GA K8N Pro-SLI, PCI Problem!!!!!!!!!

mdrag

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
When I Plug in any PCI card, motherboard beeps 5 times, writes warning message: WARNING:Backup BIOS checksum error, and starts flashing backup bios from main!!
Without PCI cards motherboard works perfectly!!!
BIOS version F9!!
Other Parts:
AMD Athlon 3000+ Venice
Gigabyte ATI X1600 Pro 256/128
1GB Ram-Kingston 3200
2X80Gb Maxtor
CD R/RW, DVD R/RW
350W Power Supply

smeghead4269

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
That's a bit odd. I'm thinking your faulty hardware is either the motherboard or the power supply. And looking at your specs, power supply seems more likely. 350W looks a bit low for that config, especially with the latest video cards (like that X1600) being so power hungry these days. 350W might be just barely enough for that config, and the PCI card is putting you over the edge and causing your board to go crazy. Try upgrading to at least a 400W and see if that solves your problem.

mdrag

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I have allready trayed moterboard with only: CPU, Graphic card, one 256 memory, and PCI card, pluged on that power supply. It worked the same.
So I think that Power is not a problem!! But I will try 400W power supply!!
Thanks for advice!!!!

simlev

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hi there! I have the same problem with a Gigabyte ga-p31-ds3l motherboard. I'm happy to see someone who has the same issue. The guys at Gigabyte seem to be able to only provide generic answers like "check that the pci card is manufactured according to specs". I immediately feared the problem was with the mobo, although EVERYONE was telling me it was a power problem for sure. Well, I got a brand new 70€ Corsair PSU so they must all shut up. It's the motherboard!! And in the user manual there's no mention of the word "warranty", in any western language.

:fou: :fou: :fou: