mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I am now deciding between a GA-P35-DQ6 or Asus Blitz Formula. Both use high quality materials, this is important for me because I plan on using this PC for a few years without upgrade.

My original purchase was Asus P5K-Premium. It did not work out because of the IDE/AHCI/RAID problem with SATA drives (apparently this is a known unresolved issue).

I understand that GA-P35-DQ6 has 2 revision (1.0 and 1.1). How do I find the revision number, is it on the box?

Cybersnake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
The Revision no is on the edge of the board.. no indication on the box.
But I will strongly advise u to buy ASUS.... I regret to buy Giga and used to be a Asus fan...

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I read the article. Looks like the Blitz Formula is made for water-cooled system. I do not plan on water-cool.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
It's made so that you can watercool it if you choose to without having to remove the heatpipe cooling and install your own to use water. You don't have to water cool, and the heatpipes alone should be fine for an air cooled system assuming you have some airflow in your case.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I have been doing research on the Blitz Formula.

Accordng to the review from bjorn3d (URL below), this MB has 2 external SATA ports but I do not see them in the picture of the external IO panel (page-7 of the same review).

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1141&pageID=3757

Can someone please confirm? It wll be a surprise for me if it does not have external SATA ports since this is supposed to be a high-end MB.

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Checked the Asus site. There is no ESATA in the external IO panel in Blitz Formula. This is strange because the Blitz Extreme, P5K-Premium and P5K-Deluxe all have the 2 ESATA ports.

I need these ESATA ports because I plan to buy an external hard drive for backup. USB is too slow as compared to ESATA.

Since currently there are SATA problems with P5K-Premium, I may have to consider P5K-Deluxe now.

bliq

Distinguished
BTW, I've had two gigabyte boards, a GA-8KNXP and my current GA_P35-DS3R and I've found them both to have fantastic features for the price. The DQ6 is more feature packed. If anything, you may want to wait for an X38 based DQ6 if it's important to you. I'm sure it will have a kitchen sink...

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007

Cybersnake: Why do you regret switching to Gigabyte? Which model? Can you please elaborate?

Sn00zE

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
I also kinda wished i stayed with Asus.. lol Asus performs better with non-supported memory!! ahahah Gigabyte dies if you run non-supported memory.. haha *8(

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I did choose P5K-Premium but it did not work out because of the IDE/AHCI/RAID problem with SATA drives. I could not even install the OS. Yes, I did the F6 thing to load in the Intel driver but it still did not work.

I also like the Blitz-Formula. This MB is great but it has many features that I will never use, like onboard power/reset switches, watercooling, LCD poster, etc. This means I have to pay for it but will never use it.

One thing I really want is the ESATA ports. For what I know so far, there is no ESATA in back I/O panel and there is no bracket to install ESATA in one of the slots (like the GA-P35-DQ6).

Cybersnake

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
if u can see my other post...

6750, P35-DS3P, ADATA 1G x 4 DDR2 Extreme, GV-RX26T256H (2600XT), WD320YS...
I cannot enter the bios using the PCIE card, and have to use an old PCI card instead to enter bios.

Then i installed windows and everything is fine. Afterwards i switch back to PCIE and the computer boots and enter windows. Still cannot enter bios. Strange ,,,,

I took it to the shop and they use a Sapphire 2600XT card and they can enter the bios... Guess what, they refuse to change a new one..

My next step is to go directly to Gigabyte... Now if i need to change the bios setting, i have to change to PCI card... that sucks..

PS. I've updated to the latest bios already.