GA-P35-DS3L USB Flash Drive Boot problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

regex

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I just built a computer with GigaByte P35-DS3L Motherboard, and used Norton
Ghost to create a bootable USB Flash drive. But it seems that GigaByte P35-
DS3L Motherboard won't boot from the USB Flash drive. The light on the Flash drive
flashes, which indicates some access.

That USB Flash drive can be boot up without any problem on another computer.

Here are some of the my BIOS configuration:

Advanced BIOS Features:
Hard Drive boot priority: Kingston Flash Drive 2.0, West Digital Hard Drive.
First Boot Device: I tried Hard drive, USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-HDD, USB-CDROM. None of them works.

Integrated Peripherals:
USB Controller: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller: Enabled
USB Keyboard Support: Enabled
USB Mouse Support: Enabled
Legacy USB storage detect: Enabled.

Hope someone can share some expertise on it.

Thanks.

ArmoredCavalry

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Did you ever figure this out? I'm still having troubles with it... I know that the flash drive is a USB-HDD, but it won't boot (even though it works on other systems). It just skips right to the internal Hard Drive and boots windows...

althius

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Shadow, what did you change the boot priority to? there are a number of choices that seem "right". USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB HDD... not sure which is the 'right' one.

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Wait, how do you even make the USB flash drive bootable? I was told to format it under Windows with a FAT partition. I wanted to update my bios from it, but I would go in the flash utility in the ga-p35-ds3l and it would only detect the floppy disk. I ended up using the floppy.

Merman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I had the same problems with my Lexar usb flash drive, which was already formated in FAT. LSDMEASAP recommended re-formating in FAT, which solved my problems with all the default values set in the bios for usb.

The default value in bios is for a floppy drive even if one is not attached. With this setting my flash drive showed up as floppy drive B in Q-Flash. No need to set HDD order or anything.

brandonros

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I got my sony usb to work with backpack 3 by changing the hard disk priority. This option is on the top of the list in the advanced bios menu, just above the boot order. There was an option to boot from the usb-hdd before the hard drive.

bernardino

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I just want to reiterate what brandonros said.

Get into BIOS settings
Advanced BIOS Features
Hard Drive Boot Priority
Then move the USB drive up to the top.

The program I used to make my USB drive bootable was HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. Remember, you won't see the files on the USB drive unless you go to folder options and set it to show hidden files and system files.

how to boot from usb thumb drive
how to make bootable usb thumb drive

sonu singh_48

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
note:you have to open your computer case for doing this if u want to then u can proceed!!!!!!!!!!!

you will be able to boot from flash drive if you follow these steps:-
1) open you computer case
2)remove the sata cable of your hard disk (if using pata hard disk then remove pata cable)
3) then try to boot with your flash drive using boot option
may it helps u because i am successful in doing this method
thanks

k-elshemary

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
After pressing F12 while booting your computer, you will find "+" symbol just beside 'HDD' option , expand the "+" you will find your USB Flash right there.

G

I have GA-A75M-UD2H
I have the same USB Boot Problem.

I habe ce. 10 USB-Sticks -
some of the old TakeMS-2GB and 8GB and one MicroSD-USB-Adapter boots well.
No ScanDisk - no the other SD-USB-Adapter no ADATA-Stick
no boot from the rest.

Sipmle not Listed F12 after + in HDD-Drives ---
I have changed many options in BIOS -- even tryed Default settings -- even Reseted BIOS by Jumper an Battery -- Even have tryed various Formatprograms for Formatting FAT32...
Same Problem after BIOSupdate.

All Sticks boots well from other computers.

Oren_2

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

bless you sir.

AffeM

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
My issue is this:
I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (revision 2) motherboard - Flash Bios revision F12!
I have a Windows 10 Install (not upgrade) USB From Microsoft themselves
I am running Vista 32 Bit Premium - I know - its rubbish, hence the upgrade.

As is well documented - I have tried everything to try to get the USB to be recognised during boot. Frigged the boot orders, expanded +HDD etc etc - Nothing, Nowt, simply doesn't see the USB Pen drive at all. the USB is Fat 32, the USB port is USB2.

When I did a flash (Qflash) upgrade of the Bios from 7 to 12 it DID see an old 1GB USB stick, eventually. But bear in mind 2 things - i had to disable the Floppy in the BIOS and the USB shows in QFlash as a floppy drive.

Various forums suggest that this is due to the MOBO not seeing USB's above 4GB - maybe this is right, i don't know.

There also seem to be solutions when you create smaller USB Boots using various utilities, buti didnt have anything to make the boot FROM. or maybe I did and i am not smart enough - dunno.

Anyway - i digress......After many many hours of beating the cat, killing the kids and generally being bad tempered, foul mouthed, tired, hysterical and generally mental I did the unthinkable. I went to Microsoft support: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/contactus?forceorigin=esmc#

Click on 'Service and Apps' and start a Chat session.

I was, perhaps, lucky - I got 'John D' from the Philippines

John tells me that the Mobo is old and doesn't support Windows Install Images. Maybe he is right, I have no idea. Seems to simple an answer to me but what do i know...

but more importantly - he was extra helpful.

Bearing in mind I was on Vista Ultimate 32 bit and wanted to go onto Windows 10, Home, 64 bit.

* USB didnt work so I needed to create some Windows 10 Install DVD's BUT....Vista doesn't have the utility to support this.
* So....he remote controlled my PC, downloaded Windows 7 (does have the utilities)
* Then downloaded Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool from wudt.codeplex.com
* Installed it, ran it, pointed it at the Windows 7 iso file and created a Windows 7 Boot DVD then, over to me to do a clean install when I reboot - so I have windows 7

* I installed Windows 7 as a clean install - no idea why but i didnt need a serial number - maybe this was John Voodoo and he got me a special version, don't know.

From within windows 7- you can install the Windows 10 upgrade from the USB drive - (Vista doesnt recognise windows 10 upgrades)

Now........why can't I see my Wireless network card.....Hmmmmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.