GA-P35-DS3R rev 2.0 -- Wake on LAN???

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Does anyone know if this motherboard supports the Wake On LAN function?

I've never used a gigabyte motherboard (just got this one, and love it so far), and I've never used the Wake On LAN function, either. So I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly. It seems as though other motherboard BIOS' have WOL or "Wake on LAN" function specified (literal words), so I'm wondering if this motherboard just doesn't support it (because I can't find it in the BIOS).

Anyone know?

Also, what is the "Power on by Ring" option? I've never seen this before. Is this similar to the Wake on LAN?

If this mobo doesn't support WOL, does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks in advance!

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
It will for sure... youll just have to look... RTFM would be the easiest way to find out.

Are you currently using wake on lan... or have used it in the past? If so what are you using to do it?

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
I've looked all through the manual. The problem is that there are no settings called "WOL" or "Wake on LAN". The only option that seems similar is "Power On by Ring". I'm don't know exactly what the first is.

This is the first time I've tried using Wake on LAN. The "Power On by Ring" made me research this a bit, and that's how I found out about WOL.

I'd like to be able to leave my computer off most of the time, especially on vacations, but have the ability to boot it remotely (say, from a family member's house) and Remote Desktop into it. Obviously, I could do the same thing during the week, as well. Just a way to save power but still be able to RD later if needed.

FYI, here are the details from the manul for the subjects mentioned above:

"Power On by Ring":
Allows the system to be awakened from an ACPI sleep state by a wake-up signal from a modem
that supports wake-up function. (Default: Enabled)

Thanks

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Spoke too soon...The option I originally said I found is only for enabling the onboard LAN card, not for using Wake on LAN. :(

Any suggestions/insight?

ehiris

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Have you had any luck on this? I just got this board and I'm having the same dilema.
Does the new firmware have more features?

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
Unfortunately, I never found the answer I was looking for. I spent a couple hours on hold and talking with someone is support trying to get help with this. They said that it was "on the roadmap" for a later firmware update, but I haven't pursued it since. They take enhancement requests, and I guess they keep track of the number of requests per enhancement, but first priority is to their bulk customers.

This was probably close to a year ago now, so I'd hope they would have added the functionality already, but I can't say for sure. I would recommend calling them and asking about it. If they haven't added it by now, surely they've had tons of requests for it. Seems like pretty basic functionality.

Please feel free to report back. I'm certainly still interested, just have so many other "irons in the fire" right now.

~thephatp

sanjay_79

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
if ur BIOS dosen't hv the power manag. option don't worry just go to my comp. right click dr and go to device manager and choose ur network adapter. do double click dr and u will hv d option for wake on lan setting enable all of these and enjoy...