GA-P55A-UD3P Ram slot not detecting

marshalllaw

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hello All,

I've installed two 2gb DDR3 ram chips in the two white slots on my GA-p55a-UD3P (Dimm2 and Dimm 4 I believe). The problem is that only the ram chip in Dimm4 is being detected, I have tried several ram chips and have tested the integrity of the ram chips.

Windows and the BIOS and CPU-Z report that only one ram chip is being used (reporting only 2gb). CPU-Z also indicates "Single Channel". I determined that the problem was in the particular slot by booting with only one ram chip. Trying to boot from Dimm2 resulted in the computer not reaching the POST screen.

I've also tried moving both ram chips to the blue slots, however this resulted in the computer not reaching the POST screen as well.

I've tried reseating the CPU to no avail as well. I've seen a lot of posts about bent pins on the 1156 chips (I have an i5), but this doesn't seem to be the issue as the problem is localised to one slot?

Any ideas would be great!, Do you guys think I need a mobo replacement :(

Solution
Read your motherboard manual:

If you boot with a SINGLE stick you can only use one of those slots. So try to boot with a single stick and test each stick one at a time.

Both sticks work?
(If one stick fails it's that stick of RAM that's defective)

If they both work (separately) continue:
Now put each stick in the proper DIMM slots that your motherboard recommends when installing only two modules.

Doesn't work?

It's your motherboard.
Read your motherboard manual:

If you boot with a SINGLE stick you can only use one of those slots. So try to boot with a single stick and test each stick one at a time.

Both sticks work?
(If one stick fails it's that stick of RAM that's defective)

If they both work (separately) continue:
Now put each stick in the proper DIMM slots that your motherboard recommends when installing only two modules.

Doesn't work?

It's your motherboard.

Solution

marshalllaw

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies!.

I tried both ram sticks as per @Photonboy. They both work individually, what does work is the first White slot on the mobo.

I've had this mobo for a while so I can't RMA it, both white slots originally worked >.<.

The only thing I can think of that may have busted it is when I put on my noctua heatsink again or when I moved the ram in/out to do it (I think i accidentally put one in the wrong way, I didn't like force it in though).

So you guys think my Mobo needs replacement? Any suggestions of an equivalent 1156 board?

Do these symptoms point to CPU pins being bent?, I've read a lot of forum posts and the guide about missing memory but when the CPU pins are bent does it only fail to recognise one slot as mine is doing? I'm just trying to make sure I replace the right part.

Thanks for the help thus far!