Ga-x48-ds5 q9650 OC help needed please

icslbdvl

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
hello, i am new here but i am not new with overclocking but i am getting frustrated getting my cpu to 4ghz
i am running my system with 3.6ghz clock stable and would like to go 4ghz
i am on air with thermalright 120xtreme
temps are 60-65 full load

i have a
4gb memory by gskill 1066hmz 5-5-5-15
vid card 5970 by xfx oc'ed to 850\1115 with 1.37v\stock
q9650 is 3.61ghz with these settings in bios

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
Fine Clock Ratio ____________[0]
CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [401]
PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.66B] > 1069mhz
DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
Performance Enhance = [Standard]
CAS Latency Time________________ 5
Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3 Auto
Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 Auto
Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 Auto
Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52 Auto
Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3 auto
Static tRead Value_______________ 6 Auto
Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 Auto
CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
CPU Clock Skew Control [100ps] > default just says [normal]
GMCH Clock Skew Control [50ps] > default just says [normal]
System Voltage Control____ [Normal]
DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.30] which is 2.1v
PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.10] > default just says [normal]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [0.050] > default just says [normal]
CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3250] > default just says [normal] which is 1.2250v
Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled]

if you can help me get to 4ghz stable it would be great :)
thanks in advance

bilbat

Splendid
A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-X48-DS5
Intel Q9650 1333FSB x9.0mult to 4.0 GHz .85-1.3625V
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB8W
Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.pdf

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to "0"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.4B" (may need to go to 2.0D, as the 2.4 mult is on the wrong 'strap')

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual" if the following aren't right - they should already be set correctly by the 'Load Optimized'...
"CAS Latency Time" to "5"
"tRCD" to "5"
"tRP" to "5"
"tRAS" to "15"
Remaining memory settings should be good as set by the "LoadOpt"...

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled"
"CPU Vcore" to "1.325V" should be good...
"DRAM Voltage" to "+0.3V" or "2.1V" - whichever way it's expressed in your BIOS...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

ps - I'm running pretty much the same setup on the DS5 I'm sitting at @3.8 on a 9550 - I'm at 8.5 X 447... (w/8G of G.Skill...)

bilbat

Splendid
[:lorbat:6] ...forgot to change the memory spec from Corsair to G.Skill - doesn't matter, same procedure! I use all G.Skill and find all of it runs better than spec'd, usually at lower voltage than spec'd [:bilbat:5]

icslbdvl

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010

hi, thanks for the tip but it didnt really help as i already know how to OC
i just hoped some one would have this cpu and have this mobo and could give me the values needed for the 4ghz OC
i can play all day with my bios settings but the result over 401mhz fsb is a crash.

even if a raise from 401 fsb to 412 the system crash i think my MB batch is a bad one so i will stay with 3.61ghz
probably mch need to be set +0.200v-0.250v
but i cant go that far because of my system dont like going over +0.150v

thanks.

bilbat

Splendid
I'd try to 'borrow' another 775 for testing - the board is rock solid to well in excess of 450; I can run (and stress) at 4GHz with my 9550 (470+), but can't run there day to day, as my busses are too 'busy'. Unless, maybe, something is wrong with the hardware? Another factor may be that I cool my X48 - when you're OCing the system, and pushing the RAM past 800, as well as running +.3, you're 'beating up' on the northbridge - never hurts to cool the MCH directly:
0099d.jpg