GA-X58A-UD3R and SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

srbarry

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
OK, the holiday sales are upcoming and I'm thinking of adding an SSD to my GA-X58A-UD3R r1 build. It's a pretty straight forward build so far with a i7 930, 6gb corsair dominator mem, a samsung f4 1tb hd, and a asus 5850.

I'm not planning on doing raid, I just want a nice sized ssd to boot from and run some core programs.

I've seen some posts mentioning problems with ssd's with this board, but other folks seem to have had no problems with non raid installs.

So, if I just get a 64gb sdd and use it to boot, what do I need to know?

Should I go sata 2 or 3? Does it really matter? Again, I'm looking for ease of install and to avoid problems.

Do I need to update my bios, I'd rather not unless I need to? 6.00 PG

Do brands matter? Are there any to avoid?

How should I attach the ssd and the existing hd. Which extact ports should I use?

Anything else I should know? Any bios settings that need to change?

Thanks for the help folks!

Steve

shagmanjug

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I'd like to revisit this thread and ask if there has been any issues as of late with the GA-X58A-UD3R and Crucial c300 128gb drive. I ordered the following parts put it all together and having a fit with this system like none other I have built. No Raid.

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
LG DVD/Blu Ray Burner not sure on model at this moment

I put everything together and put my Windows 7 Home premium disk in and turned it on. Boot from cd came up eventually and pressed enter, ran through the windows install program up to the point of "Expanding Windows Files" and it would take forever (up to 30-40%) then error "Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the application" I then proceeded to make changes to the bios that I found on the internet because I thought it was a ssd problem wrong settings in the bios. Then I thought Id change out my drive I had an Asus dvd/cd burner and it made it through the process after I deleted the partition that failed the last time. Now my problem is when I boot it up it it doesn't make it past the windows screen and reboots.

Could someone explain to me what this marvel and intel controllers terminology is. I have sata2 ports and sata 3 ports. This drive is plugged into sata 3 port 6 or 7 I think it was. How do I know whether I'm using this marvel or intel controller.

Im thinking of installing a SATA HDD and running windows to see if it will fly like that to see if it is the SSD. Any suggestions? In the meantime I'm going to be doing some more research from my wife's pc when I get home from work. Seems like all the data on the net is always older than 6 months ugh. Just noticed some related topics to the right side here Im going to read up on those too.

Thanks,
DJ

I also have rev 1 of the GA-X58A-UD3R as well. No problems after a year with an SSD and 2HDDs on the same controller and a DVD on another controller (specs in signature below). I'm running with Award BIOS production version F6 (my SSD has worked with my PC since BIOS version F1). The board is solid. I can't wait until the price of the SATA III SSDs come down so I can utilize that controller as well.

It's a great board.

iHopeItWorks

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Sorry to revive an old thread but i'm having similar problems. What bios settings and install order did you use? Did you keep the raid 0 off until installed on the SSD? Did you implement and keep the raid drivers or ahci drivers?