GA-X58A-UD3R - Fan Header Question

skaz

Distinguished
Hello,

I have a 4 pin PWM 120mm fan I would like to use inside my case. My fan controller only has 3 pin connectors with plastic housing around these connectors preventing any 4 pin connectors from being connected. So decided I could use my motherboard's fan headers for this 120mm fan. I found two 4 pin fan headers on the motherboard. One is for the CPU, and the second one is labelled SYS_FAN2. But according to the manual this fan header SYS_FAN2 has a different pin layout then the CPU fan header. Basically I'm trying to figure out if this fan will be controlled by temperature if connected to the SYS_FAN2 header as I don't want it running full speed. In the BIOS I can only find a setting for the CPU fan header. Below is a picture of the pin layout for both the CPU and SYS fan headers.

Any experience with this specific motherboard and its fan headers you can share on the topic is appreciated. Thank you.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
How do you figure they are a different pin layout? They are a mirror image if you care to inspect a little closer. The BIOS probably has a CH2 fan setting somewhere which allows you to control the PWM chassis fan(s). I have an Asrock MB which allows me to set a temp and fan speed.

skaz

Distinguished

Because it says reserve instead of speed control. Not a mirror image. Maybe you can enlighten me to what the "reserve" means.

skaz

Distinguished

So, if for example I had a push pull configuration on my heatsink I could plug the second fan into the Sys_fan2 header and the BIOS would control it as it does the CPU_Fan header?