sarah123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi,

I just put together my new build - 1st timer. be fore I flip the switch - I want to know if i put my hard drive and optical drive and my case haf 922 has an e-sata cable- in the right ports.

I have a ga-x58a ud3r mother board with sata 2_0/1/2/3/4/5 blue ones and white G sata ports and i don't really know what the difference is.

Also I have only 1 hdd (1tb)- is this an issue - everything ive read talks about having 2
tx

sarah123

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
ok I guess should use the G-sata ones 1st - from reading the long sticky post - but what if i get another hdd what then - maybe these are newbie qs but any help would be great

Also I have only 1 hdd (1tb)- is this an issue - everything ive read talks about having 2
They are probably talking about RAID.
Usually, you only need 1 HDD. However, people like me run RAID and/or have 2 separate HDDs for OS and data.

You can attach the HDDs to any port really, as long as you are not doing RAID.

* The GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7 ports are tied to the Marvell controller. They support RAID 0, and RAID 1 respectively.

*SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5 support RAID 0,1, 5, and 10 based on the Intel South Bridge.

*GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9 are based on some Gigabyte controller supporting RAID 0,1, and JBOD.

For Non-RAID use for SATAII use SATA2_0, SATA2_1.

bilbat

Splendid
Put the Hard drive in SATA2_0, the DVD in GSATA2_8, and the eSATA cable in GSATA2_9.

In the BIOS, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page, configure:

"eXtreme Hard Drive" to "Disabled"
"ICH SATA Control Mode" to "IDE"
"SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled"
"eSATA Controller" to "Enabled" if you ever intend to use the rear eSATA connectors, "Disabled" otherwise...
"eSATA Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI" if above "Enabled", otherwise, doesn't matter...
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller" to "Disabled"
"GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode" doesn't matter - it's disabled...
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Controller" to "Enabled"
"GSATA 8_9/IDE Ctrl Mode" to "AHCI" - this will give you 'hot-plug' for your front panel eSATA...