GA-Z170-HD3 boot loop - 5 beeps **SOLVED**

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
A brief summary of my situation:

This is my first PC build.

I assembled all the below parts, and the machine would not boot (and presented the same symptoms that I am having currently). I reseated the RAM and was able to boot to BIOS.

Once in bios, I noticed the RAM was running at 2133 MHz (as it should). I then "Loaded Optimized Defaults" and then I enabled XMP, and the RAM then showed 2400 MHz.

I then shut the machine down, relocated it, and the boot loop began. The machine powers on, CPU and case fans spin for approximately 15 seconds, I receive 5 long beeps, the machine powers down and then repeats the above for an infinite loop. The 5 long beeps according to my research indicates a CPU error, however upon further investigation from reading other forum posts, this seems unlikely.

Things I have tried:
Reseat RAM, try both RAM sticks in all 4 slots 1 stick at a time, reseat all Mobo connections (except for CPU, I will try that sometime this week), verified all connections are present (24 pin and 8 pin MoBo power, for example), jumpered CLR_CMOS both with and without the CMOS battery (for approximately 30 minutes) in the MoBo.

I was thinking that simply resetting the Bios would fix the issue, as it seemed to arise when I enabled XMP.

It is worth noting that the RAM is not explicitly on the motherboard's QVL, but I would not think this is the issue as the machine initially booted and let me into the BIOS.

It would seem my options are limited to a complete disassembly/breadboard/reassembly, or trying 2133 MHz RAM (which I would have to purchase to try).

I plan to get a friend of mine who is more experienced to help me breadboard the machine on Friday if I cannot get it working before then.

So before I did those two things, I was wondering if there could be something I am simply missing, or if anyone else has had this issue with this particular motherboard or a similar motherboard.

I'm posting this to receive help, as well as to document this issue for anyone else who may run into it.

Specs:
CPU: i5 6500
Cooler: DeepCool Gamma maxx 400
GPU: On-Board graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z170-HD3 Rev. 1.0 LGA 1151
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850X 850W 80 PLUS GOLD
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive

Solution:

RAM was dead on arrival. New (and identical) RAM fixed the issue.

Solution
Does this board only have memory locks on 1 side?

Just came across this on reddit

"For anyone else coming to this thread with this issue, this MB has a RAM module with locks on only one side. If you put the RAM in how you usually would and just lock the one side into place it won't register the RAM and will give you this error. You'll need to push the non-locking side of the RAM down first with some force, and THEN place the other side in and lock it into place.
This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high."

Also saw this.

[–]winsplit 1 point 1 year ago
5 beeps indicate a CPU error as per the beep codes on Gigabyte website...

Goblingee

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Gigabyte error codes are here.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=816

5 beeps according to this list is Real Time Clock Malfunction.

How old is the board? maybe worth trying a new bios battery?

The other thing to look at as it is 5 long beeps rather than 5 short beeps is the ram location.

Have you got your ram in the correct sockets they should be 1-3-2-4 so for 2 modules you would put them in slots 1 and 2 with an empty slot 3 in between them?

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

It is the AMI bios set, which for some reason only lists short beeps in the beep code guide, but the 5 beeps generated are longer than 1 second in duration.

All the components were purchased in the month of October, so not very old at all.

I've tried all the RAM in every possible configuration so far, with no luck .

Goblingee

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Does this board only have memory locks on 1 side?

Just came across this on reddit

"For anyone else coming to this thread with this issue, this MB has a RAM module with locks on only one side. If you put the RAM in how you usually would and just lock the one side into place it won't register the RAM and will give you this error. You'll need to push the non-locking side of the RAM down first with some force, and THEN place the other side in and lock it into place.
This isn't noted anywhere in the manual, or anywhere online, but placing the ram in how you normally would results in one side raising up too high."

Also saw this.

[–]winsplit 1 point 1 year ago
5 beeps indicate a CPU error as per the beep codes on Gigabyte website.
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/faq-page.aspx?fid=816
permalinkembed
[–]fantasticmrfoxr 1 point 1 year ago
I wasn't sure because they were long beeps as apposed to short. But it looks like a couple of pins on the motherboard that the cpu sits on are bent, I assume this would cause my problem?
permalinkembedparent
[–]winsplit 2 points 1 year ago
Most probably yes. Try to straighten them using a credit card for support. Be very careful not to break any pin.

Good luck.

Solution

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

I am 100% sure I have properly seated the RAM, and the likelihood of a bent pin seems low since it did initially boot and not exhibit any strange symptoms. But I will be pulling the CPU out and reseating it to at least inspect the socket for misaligned pins.

willyd_007

Prominent
May 8, 2017
This may not be a solution for the OP, but my new build with the Gigabyte Z270-HD3P gives me a 5 beep warning whenever I try to use Ultrafast Boot. I get no problem with a "normal" Fast Boot.

Hope this helps someone.

hopsz1234

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
A few days ago I ran into this issue myself. After assamblyng my new PC I had this 5 long beep problem as well, tried everything written in the forums (reseat the RAM, place it in slot 1, check the if MB CPU oins are bent). But in reality my issue was caused by the BIOS not being updated to support KabyLake (you need at least f20). So if you run into this issue with a Z170 MB and use a KabyLake CPU make sure to check the BIOS version!

Status
Not open for further replies.