[SOLVED] GA-Z97P-D3 power cycles

sztarling

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
Testing 2 motherboards, each in the same case with the same PSU/Cooler/RAM/GFX. One POSTs, one doesn't.

Any suggestions for next steps, given the following details?

Common hardware:
Setup #1 - POST: OK
Motherboard: GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 3.40GHz​
GFX: GT610​
Verdict: PSU/RAM/GFX/CPU/mobo all working just fine

Setup #2 - POST: power cycling every 2 secs + 2 short beeps each time
Motherboard: GA-Z97P-D3 LGA1150
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.20GHz​
Tried each/combo of the following with same result:
Battery taken out, voltage tested OK, put back​
CMOS: before and after clearing​
RAM: solo in slots 1,2,3,4 / dual in slots 1 & 3 / dual in slots 2 & 4​
GFX: onboard gfx / GT610 (card fan spins and cycles)​
Verdict: Motherboard issue? (CPU? - no other mobo to test CPU with)

Solution
case with Antec 550W PSU
How old is the PSU in your build? To add, Antec is the brand of the PSU while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model to said PSU?

Does the latter platform work with the iGPU? If not then the motherboard might very well be the issue. Did you inspect both motherboard's sockets for bent or broken pins?

FYI, trying to ball up two system's troubleshooting into one thread will only result in spaghettis brains.

Lutfij

Titan
case with Antec 550W PSU
How old is the PSU in your build? To add, Antec is the brand of the PSU while 550W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model to said PSU?

Does the latter platform work with the iGPU? If not then the motherboard might very well be the issue. Did you inspect both motherboard's sockets for bent or broken pins?

FYI, trying to ball up two system's troubleshooting into one thread will only result in spaghettis brains.

Reactions: sztarling
Solution

sztarling

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2013
| FYI, trying to ball up two system's troubleshooting into one thread will only result in spaghettis brains.
Only one system requires troubleshooting, the point of adding the #1 setup was to show that the PSU, RAM, GFX all work fine with another Gigabyte motherboard, therefore I deduce that the issue is not the PSU, RAM or GFX. ("Setup #1 - POST: OK ")

| What is the model to said PSU?
Neo HE550. As mentioned, the PSU powers another setup just fine.

| Does the latter platform work with the iGPU?
If by iGPU you mean onboard graphics, then no. As listed in setup #2, I get the same power cycling result with both the onboard and the PCI card.

| Did you inspect both motherboard's sockets for bent or broken pins?
Bingo! Forgot to do that and yes looking now there are 2 bent pins. I'll see if I can fix those. Thanks!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS