Question GA-Z97X - UD5H Rev 1.0 and PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasho23

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2013
Based on the Specifications of this MB having a PCIe M.2 SSD Slot, I purchased one and installed it on my MB ( Z97X - UD5H Rev 1.0 ). I then used Software ( Hasleo Backup Suite ) to produce a Systen Clone. This ran overnight and in the morning, it stated that it had completed succesfully installing the Windows 10 Pro 64bit System, Programs and Data Drive, from my Office PC to my WorkBench PC ( Z97X - UD5H ). Behind the Software, the Screen was populated with familiar Desktop Icons. I closed the Cloning Software. this left the M.2 SSD for Booting. I did not think to try and work with Windows, before going further. I was more interested in trying to Boot with the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, so I closed Window down and I also removed the Seagate Drive that I had the Cloning Software on, and tried to Boot from the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD. When I selected F12 to select which drive to Boot from, the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD was not showing, so it would not Boot. I checked the BIOS and the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD was not present in the Boot Priority Options - only the CD/DVD RW was present. Because the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD runs off the PCI Bus, I feel that it will not show up in the Boot Priority Options.
SO, I forgot to mention "this is a UEFI/GPT" System.
This now leaves the question "Where does it show up or where can it be found for Booting" - "Where does the BIOS find it to Boot" I have tried various BIOS Settings, including "The Default Common Settings"
Today I put the old Segate back in and Booted to check a few things, like:- Disk Management can see the PCIe NVNe M.2 SSD, Installed - OEMI Partition Assistant can see it installed. The Hasleo Backup Suite could see it when I was setting up to Clone, as the Destination Drive.
Everything Else can see the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, except me, in the BIOS.
GigaByte Support are Useless these days - they are Computer Novices - Yesterday I request my problem be Elevated to a Higher Level.
Question:---Has anyone else experienced the problem of arranging the Settings correctly, so that I can get it to BOOT from the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, particularly when I am on the Default Common Settings. In feel it must be how I have the Settings arranged - so many settings that are NOT explained very well. Thank You.

USAFRet

Titan
This ran overnight and in the morning, it stated that it had completed succesfully installing the Windows 10 Pro 64bit System, Programs and Data Drive, from my Office PC to my WorkBench PC ( Z97X - UD5H )
" from my Office PC to my WorkBench PC ( Z97X - UD5H )"

You're trying to use the OS from one system in a whole different system?

This usually fails.

Especially if talking about a Z97 era system and an NVMe drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Has anyone else experienced the problem of arranging the Settings correctly, so that I can get it to BOOT from the PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, particularly when I am on the Default Common Settings. In feel it must be how I have the Settings arranged - so many settings that are NOT explained very well. Thank You.
Further, even with this apparent clone operation....NVMe support of Z97 boards was spotty.

Status
Not open for further replies.