Gaben: Valve Planning Console-like PC for Living Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if they can keep the price down and power requirment down then it might be a goldmine. though people playing wiht controllers in a pc fps world are probably not going to have as much fun when the keyboard/mouse players are just mopping up the frag bait.. still would be happy to see it happen it would be good for the pc gaming type and most of us who are tech savy who have friends coming to us for advice can steer them toward this over a traditional console

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
So targetted at the casual market? I don't really see a benefit of this over a gaming PC...especially since most games (like older ones) won't run since this console is running Linux. It is funny though that Newell called Windows 8 "a catastrophe for PC" and called up on MS on trying to create a closed environment, which is pretty much what he's trying to do with this new console.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
if it comes with a thunderbolt port and allows for adding an external graphics module......then yes, i would like this......But what about Half Life 3? Why no love for the freeman?

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom].But what about Half Life 3? Why no love for the freeman?[/citation]

If valve make HL3 a steambox exclusive, there will be unforeseen consequences.

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]If valve make HL3 a steambox exclusive, there will be unforeseen consequences.[/citation]
+1

G

If valve make HL3 a steam/box exclusive it will have a shot of competing against Microsoft and Sony, Remember PC gamers, people who already use steam are not the target for this but the xbox and psn live users. The stumbling block is direct x and windows it needs windows cheap on this thing to have the whole steam catalog and I don't think Microsoft will be to accommodating to a competitor.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
actually this means more games on Linux which is a win for PC. I love the idea and I think simply having the same OS/software and hardware will benefit PC greatly since there wont be any big AAA exclusive for just consoles.

ALSO please read the article. He says it is a close environment, but then he also says STEAMBOX isnt the only product, meaning, it will be sort of like Android. Other companies will sell their version of STEAMBOX that runs STEAM.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
for the 32 years long i've been waiting for this such transformation of a pc game.. and only now it can trully realized... just make it PC stays open, more friendly, flexible, and it will be the platform of choice.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Let the console wars begin! We not only have the 3 big names this round (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft), but now Valve and of course Ouya. Seems that there will be a console for everyone.
Sega, you guys care to join the fray again?

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
This should be an easy sell for those already gaming on PC, but they need to put some advertising $$$ behind it if they want to bugde the console crowd.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I think this is good for PC gaming as long as the Steam Box uses a PC operating system (and uses the same version of the games as other PCs) and is either upgradable or they have different spec versions. This will mean that they are basically creating more games for the PC, which is good.

I personally will be sticking with my gaming PC, but most of my gamer friends would love one of these. Most of them have gaming PCs, but they would love to just be able to plug and play like a console (no driver headaches, incompatibilities, etc). And the ones that predominantly use consoles do so mainly because they don't want the hassle of using a gaming PC.

This actually makes a lot of sense for Valve and I really hope they succeed.

Now if the Steam Box uses its own OS with games that aren't compatible with either Linux or Windows then they can go fuck themselves.

wolley74

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]zakaron[/nom]Let the console wars begin! We not only have the 3 big names this round (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft), but now Valve and of course Ouya. Seems that there will be a console for everyone.Sega, you guys care to join the fray again?[/citation]

Ouya is a glorified cellphone that can connect to a TV and use a controller, I don't see it being a huge hit frankly

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]This should be an easy sell for those already gaming on PC, but they need to put some advertising $$$ behind it if they want to bugde the console crowd.[/citation]
They don't need to, they will simply redirect the PC gaming crowd and seeing as there are already 40 million Steam users and an unknown number of non-Steam users that use a PC for gaming that is a big enough market already

Status
Not open for further replies.