Gaikai Now Streaming PC Games Into Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Clever idea but I personally dont like facebook nor like cloud gaming, the combination of the two makes it even worse for me.

But hey, im sure there are people who like it. It is better than stupid farmville...

anamech

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Epic fail!!! The future will be filled with Facebook-Zombie like "wannabe" gamers!!!

I don't like this!!! I don't like this at all!!!

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
"People don’t want to leave Facebook to play games"...
i do leave Facebook or G+ to play games. don't want distraction while i'm out there killing goblins and orcs.

the only social network that i'm using is Steam (that is if you can call it social network).

no thanks, definitely not a product for me.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I got to test this system out (Im part of nvidia's mailing list for certain products) about 2 months ago. Played crisis 2 on my living room pc (i5 750 with a gt240) with no lag just longer than normal load times. Played Witcher 2 as well. While you couldnt change the graphics options too much in either game you got the real game and it played very well.

Im happy to see that nvidia and their partners will be offering this service through facebook because now the facebook people can play actual games (full screen and everything) instead of stupid games like farmville. Casual gaming is the bane of real gamers everywhere and that's whats lead to the disdain for facebook "gamers". Gaikai changes that.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Sounds like Onlive (which is doing fairly well, and their service is not bad at all).

I think they beat Onlive to the punch with Facebook integration, and one of two things are gonna happen:

1. Users love the service because it's conveniently available on a widely used social network, it works well and they get to test it without much effort, or

2. All of the above, except they don't love it because they don't fully understand the bandwidth requirements.

Either way, I think there is some good money to be made in this for Gaikai. Props to them.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Do you really think people who can't be bothered to alt-tab away from facebook will play any game that takes at least a 30 minute commitment to do anything in? Cloud streaming will hold PC gaming back even more than consoles have already done. Gamers aren't satisfied playing on low settings at 720p and 30fps. And the ones that are haven't experienced the real thing.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
This service is more of a "try before you buy", unlike OnLive. I ran a few games on it, including Crysis 2. It's surprisingly smooth to say the least. I'd support this company more than OnLive out of the fact that it provides demos, especially for games that have none.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
"better than stupid farmville"²

I don't use facebook nor anything else, just skype, and I rly don't like the idea of cloud gamming, it can be the best server and best connection, still wont respond as if it were in your high-end computer... but I guess this is more for light-players, so maybe thats ok then ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.