Gainward: are they any good?

I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

I have a Ultra/750-8X and i like it. It runs really good at whatever i do.
Never a single problem. Slightly oc'ed to 310/605. Anybody here knows how
high i can oc? It has ram heatsink.
Thank you all
"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

jrs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2001

In my opinion, yes. I'm on my 4th Gainward card, an FX-5900, and AFAIK,
all the others are still working just fine in their new homes as well. :)

--
JRS <steinie**X**@pacbell.net>
Please remove **X** to reply...

Don't annoy others.
Don't be too easily annoyed.

Venom

I have an Gainward 5900, and flashed the bios to an 5950 ultra, clocked at
475/950 really fly's, I have had no problems at all with it.
"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

Ryan

venom wrote:
> I have an Gainward 5900, and flashed the bios to an 5950 ultra, clocked at
> 475/950 really fly's, I have had no problems at all with it.
> "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
>
>>I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
>>brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

from what ive heard they are great (though kind of ugly cards), but i
think they are great for a new comer to nVidia cards.

> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

I'd like to agree with most people here in that Gainward is awesome. While
my current system, a new Alienware, came with an nVidia GeForce FX 5900
Ultra with 256MB of RAM, I will upgrade, when the time comes, to a Gainward
card (not now, of course, but the time will come). My card before that was,
in fact, a Gainward nVidia GeForce 4 Golden Sample (always get the Golden
Sample, it comes with a great overclocking program and is stable as a rock),
and it blew away most of the other GeForce 4 cards that I had used, both in
my systems and friends.

Gainward has been great at updating their software constantly, and the price
is fair. Again, I recommend them highly, and in the future when I do
upgrade my video card to whatever is out at the moment, it will be a
Gainward card.

Brandon

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:18:23 +0100, "venom" <venom@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>I have an Gainward 5900, and flashed the bios to an 5950 ultra, clocked at
>475/950 really fly's, I have had no problems at all with it.

And how hot does it get..

I wonder how long it will last as it does not have the correct cooling to run
at that speed.

Another utter Fool.

>"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
>> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
>> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

Best card made,i have a non ultra 5900 clocked to 450/940.

Venom

With ref to flashing the bios on my 5900....the cooling is the same on both
cards 5900 and 5950 ultra, temps are: GPU CORE 40c and Ambient temp 32c
After gaming 47 GPUCORE and 37 Ambient.
With ref to utter fool, this is my choice to run at these speeds, and with
proper cooling it's been ok for over 6 months.
The card cost me £130.00 from ebuyer, with flashed bios it's 5950 ultra
check out them prices.
<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:18:23 +0100, "venom" <venom@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an Gainward 5900, and flashed the bios to an 5950 ultra, clocked
at
> >475/950 really fly's, I have had no problems at all with it.
>

> And how hot does it get..
>

> I wonder how long it will last as it does not have the correct cooling to
run
> at that speed.
>
> Another utter Fool.
>

> >"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
> >> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is
Gainward
> >> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

--------------------------
> Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

teqguy

JRS wrote:

> In my opinion, yes. I'm on my 4th Gainward card, an FX-5900, and
> AFAIK, all the others are still working just fine in their new homes
> as well. :)
>

> > > I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is
> > > Gainward brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

I've always preferred MSI for performance.... but they've been slacking
recently.

BFG was one of the first FX launch manus, and they've proven they can
hold their ground.

But if you're going for aesthetics, Gigabyte, PNY, and Leadtek have the
prettiest cards and some of the best performance.

Pixelview has that built in LCD thermal probe.... I might just buy the
card for the probe.

I had a Gainward Ti-4200 and it had bad capacitors that caused
the card to crash with the "checkerboard of death" screen.
They had poor tech support and very cheap components.

I have a chaintech 5600 ultra now... a world of difference!

RD

"venom" <venom@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> With ref to flashing the bios on my 5900....the cooling is the same on
both
> cards 5900 and 5950 ultra, temps are: GPU CORE 40c and Ambient temp 32c
> After gaming 47 GPUCORE and 37 Ambient.

You temp may be reading as 47?C after gaming but you can be sure the in
gaming temp will be around 65?C - 70?C. By the 1 or 2 seconds it takes when
you have quit or TAB switched out from any 3D Game the temp reading can drop
by as much as 20?C.

Try downloading RivaTuner and running the temp logging feature so you can
get a true in game reading.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 22:32:14 -0400, Rainee Durl <doggiedog@scoopers.net>
wrote:

>I had a Gainward Ti-4200 and it had bad capacitors that caused
>the card to crash with the "checkerboard of death" screen.
>They had poor tech support and very cheap components.
>
>I have a chaintech 5600 ultra now... a world of difference!
>
>RD

Nothing wrong with them, stacks of firms got caught with the Cap scam..

>On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:18:23 +0100, "venom" <venom@dsl.pipex.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I have an Gainward 5900, and flashed the bios to an 5950 ultra, clocked at
>>475/950 really fly's, I have had no problems at all with it.
>>"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
>>> I'm moving to Nvidia card after having used Ati for some time. Is Gainward
>>> brand any good performance and reliabilty wise?

>I had a Gainward Ti-4200 and it had bad capacitors that caused
>the card to crash with the "checkerboard of death" screen.
>They had poor tech support and very cheap components.
>
>I have a chaintech 5600 ultra now... a world of difference!
>
>RD

Your lying, i called and they gave me an RMA with no question and sent a new
card very quickly. Their tech support is execellant. DOUG

LuNatic

I have a ti4600 Gainward Golden Sample and my brother has a GF3
Gainward Golden Sample and both are outstanding! They have the faster
memory and it really does make a big diff. The other day I saw my
brother running Far Cry on his GF3 and it looked excellent. I was
really shocked that it was running smoothly.

Get the "Golden Sample" version of their cards if possible, the speed
diff is worth it and the card won't be outdated as quickly.