Galaga Help needed

Pretty new to PCB "repairs" if you wanna call it that,

I get a RAM 2L error, will swapping the ram fix this?

Any ideas where to buy them...

Thanks

Terry

It may or may not indicate a bad 2114 RAM on the video board. There are
several things to try...

* Measure the +5 volt line at the board itself. _Galaga_ boards are
notorious for being finicky about this; if it's much lower than +5.00 volts,
then weird things start to happen.

* Reseat all socketed chips by "scrunching" them into their sockets with the
back of your finger. (Don't remove them if you can help it; many of those
big socketed chips are custom, with tarnishing pins, and could be damaged by
rough handling.)

* If you still get this "RAM 2L" error, you can verify that it's a bad RAM
on the video board by swapping around those 2114 RAM chips with each other
to see if the error code changes. (I don't have my notes handy to tell you
exactly which location "2L" corresponds to, or I would.) If the error code
does change, then you may indeed have a bad 2114 RAM.
You can find these in the center of the video board; they have 18 pins and
are probably socketed. You don't have to worry about swapping RAM chips
around, because they're all alike. Not so with ROMs/EPROMs, which *must* go
into their original sockets.

Thanks! any ideas where i can get 2114's if needed...

Thanks

Terry

In article <Q4idnVoYX5bIQtvfRVn-rQ@rogers.com>,
"Terry Edwards" <terry@REMOVEvirtualsolutions.ca> wrote:

> Thanks! any ideas where i can get 2114's if needed...

Other old boards, IIRC.

--
"It is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the
sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all." Hitchiker's

Hey Terry,
You can find the manual and the troubleshooting files here
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=7881

also you can get the 2114s at
http://www.therealbobroberts.com/

Rick

"Terry Edwards" <terry@REMOVEvirtualsolutions.ca> wrote in message
> Thanks! any ideas where i can get 2114's if needed...
>
> Thanks
>
> Terry
>
> "Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> > It may or may not indicate a bad 2114 RAM on the video board. There are
> > several things to try...
> >
> > * Measure the +5 volt line at the board itself. _Galaga_ boards are
> > notorious for being finicky about this; if it's much lower than +5.00
> volts,
> > then weird things start to happen.
> >
> > * Reseat all socketed chips by "scrunching" them into their sockets with
> the
> > back of your finger. (Don't remove them if you can help it; many of
those
> > big socketed chips are custom, with tarnishing pins, and could be
damaged
> by
> > rough handling.)
> >
> > * If you still get this "RAM 2L" error, you can verify that it's a bad
RAM
> > on the video board by swapping around those 2114 RAM chips with each
other
> > to see if the error code changes. (I don't have my notes handy to tell
> you
> > exactly which location "2L" corresponds to, or I would.) If the error
> code
> > does change, then you may indeed have a bad 2114 RAM.
> > You can find these in the center of the video board; they have 18 pins
> and
> > are probably socketed. You don't have to worry about swapping RAM chips
> > around, because they're all alike. Not so with ROMs/EPROMs, which
*must*
> go
> > into their original sockets.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appricated 9sp)

Terry

"Pepelepew" <pepelepew9@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Hey Terry,
> You can find the manual and the troubleshooting files here
> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=7881
>
> also you can get the 2114s at
> http://www.therealbobroberts.com/
>
> Rick
>

> "Terry Edwards" <terry@REMOVEvirtualsolutions.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks! any ideas where i can get 2114's if needed...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Terry
> >
> > "Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> > > It may or may not indicate a bad 2114 RAM on the video board. There
are
> > > several things to try...
> > >
> > > * Measure the +5 volt line at the board itself. _Galaga_ boards are
> > > notorious for being finicky about this; if it's much lower than +5.00
> > volts,
> > > then weird things start to happen.
> > >
> > > * Reseat all socketed chips by "scrunching" them into their sockets
with
> > the
> > > back of your finger. (Don't remove them if you can help it; many of
> those
> > > big socketed chips are custom, with tarnishing pins, and could be
> damaged
> > by
> > > rough handling.)
> > >
> > > * If you still get this "RAM 2L" error, you can verify that it's a bad
> RAM
> > > on the video board by swapping around those 2114 RAM chips with each
> other
> > > to see if the error code changes. (I don't have my notes handy to
tell
> > you
> > > exactly which location "2L" corresponds to, or I would.) If the error
> > code
> > > does change, then you may indeed have a bad 2114 RAM.
> > > You can find these in the center of the video board; they have 18
pins
> > and
> > > are probably socketed. You don't have to worry about swapping RAM
chips
> > > around, because they're all alike. Not so with ROMs/EPROMs, which
> *must*
> > go
> > > into their original sockets.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I had the exact same problem, turned out to be a dirty 50 pin connector
between the two boards!!
> Thanks for all your help guys, much appricated 9sp)
>
> Terry
>
> "Pepelepew" <pepelepew9@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Hey Terry,
> > You can find the manual and the troubleshooting files here
> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=7881
> >
> > also you can get the 2114s at
> > http://www.therealbobroberts.com/
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > "Terry Edwards" <terry@REMOVEvirtualsolutions.ca> wrote in message
> > > Thanks! any ideas where i can get 2114's if needed...
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Terry
> > >
> > > "Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in message
> are