Galax GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hall of Fame Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
"What's more, the card is only available through Galax's website (at almost Titan Xp pricing, no less)"

And yet I'd buy this one rather than the Xp: while I have no problems with Titan's price I do have a big problem with its noise and cooling and for this reason I think that Nvidia's decision to not open the Titan to OEMs (and their better custom cooling solutions) was a really bad one.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Each card is unique and the curve may differ a lot. I use curves to undervolt my own cards, but this is in detail too much for such a review. The next reader will copy my curves and then bash me because it won't work for him. :)

Hal-Jordan

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
I was curious how much they were charging for this. I don't see the price listed anywhere in the text of the article. There's a black "Suggested price..." box at the bottom of the page, with the price listed as "N/A," and the galax website appears to be offline. It seems that an important part of the review was omitted.

Ugly as hell and the Achiles heel of the 1080s is the VRAM. Your card can die after a short time if the cooling solution is not adequate. i would not touch this with a 10 meter stick.

falconpunch3D

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
The price isn't showing up because their store website seems to be totally different from the product info one linked in the article. Store URL is galaxstore.net, at least for the US.

Oh. Also. It's $1,100...

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
i'd like a pc with all components made to look like crystalline structure with different color LED's kind of like the cave in Ungoro crater on old wow; various color crystals sticking out from one side or another with different lighting effects. or make the inside of pc look like those giant rocks split apart to show crystalline structures to show off and have a tempered glass panel to show it all off.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
An $1100 1080Ti that isn't perceptibly faster than other AIB 1080Ti's gets a recommended buy? You can't be serious. The Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition (which also got an award, just like every other card reviewed) had a con that it was 50 DOLLARS more expensive than the 1080Ti FE, while the performance delta between it and the FE was far greater than between the HOF and the Aorus card. The HOF card is 50 PERCENT more expensive than the Aorus ($750), it isn't any faster, and it still got an award?

You reviewed a full GP102 Titan Xp 2 months ago, yet it is conspicuously missing from the comparison charts and you decided to include the older Titan X Pascal. Why would you do that?

Also, "relatively quiet" does not belong in the pros column of an $1100 version of a $700 card that has near silent versions for under $800. It goes in the cons column.

Tom Pabst hasn't been associated with this site for over a decade. Don't you think it's about time to change the name of this site to more accurately reflect what you guys are about? Instead of Tom's Hardware (The Authority on Tech), this site should be called Special Olympics' Hardware (Where Everyone's a Winner).

Now that the sarcasm portion of our program is over. Serious question, how much would Galax have to have charged for this card for it to not have gotten an award?

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hate the name - a Hall of Fame is where we place those that were once the best in their relative game (and may not be so currently) - it's like saying the card was once awesome, but may not be so currently. Weird to name it that.

REDGARL,
Are you referring to the EVGA temperature issue? Because that was fixed. You could return the card for one with the thermal pad fix, or just get the fix and do it yourself.

And... did you mean "VRAM" or VRM because I can see no VRAM (video memory) issues at all.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT with this review is that they tested against a Founders Edition card. I would have liked to see a similar EVGA or Asus card at least, and with those cards having their issues (like fans) sorted out I doubt there would be a good reason to go with the Galax card.

It COMES WITH Molex to 8-pin adapters? Not only is that a fire hazard, but the fact they they "legitimized" the practice by providing them is going to set back the effort to convince people to use proper power supplies for power-hungry cards back by years. "But the fancy Galax card comes with them!"

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
kinggremlin, 4 days ago, says:
An $1100 1080Ti that isn't perceptibly faster than other AIB 1080Ti's gets a recommended buy? You can't be serious. The Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition (which also got an award, just like EVERY other card reviewed) had a con that it was 50 DOLLARS more expensive than the 1080Ti FE, ...

You reviewed a full GP102 Titan Xp 2 months ago, yet it is conspicuously missing from the comparison charts and you decided to include the older Titan X Pascal. Why would you do that?

... Don't you think it's about time to change the name of this site to more accurately reflect what you guys are about? Instead of Tom's Hardware (The Authority on Tech), this site should be called Special Olympics' Hardware (Where Everyone's a Winner).

Now that the sarcasm portion of our program is over. Serious question, how much would Galax have to have charged for this card for it to not have gotten an award?
I can only imagine that the Chinese "Colorful iGame GTX 1080 Ti KUDAN" with it's lack of availability, not much better than 2 GHz OC (but 12 for the Memory), and an expected price of over $1500 is going to cross the line and win no "Editor's Choice" Award.

photonboy, 1 day ago, says:
MY ONLY COMPLAINT with this review is that they tested against a Founders Edition card. I would have liked to see a similar EVGA or Asus card at least ...

Indeed on page 3, "Gaming Performance", this Card comes out on top.

On this same Website, this same Reviewer a few months ago, reviewed the "Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme", see: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/zotac-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-amp-extreme,5055-3.html - this Article not only shows that Card at the top of IT'S Chart but the card is a bit cheaper and a bit faster - yet it, and many others, are omitted from this Review.

It's like whichever Card is being reviewed at the moment is a 'Special Olympics Winner' (as described above by kinggremlin).

This isn't why we come here, to know "everything is always the best", to be told "it's all good".

I'm not going to offer a lesson on how to write an objective Review but I'll join the Chorus of objectors - this is not helpful, it more like "Marketing" than either "News" or a "Review", but it's presented as a "Tom's Hardware Review".

Boooo!

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
It was available in Germany (and Europe) at the moment of first publishing. And not so expensive as in US. At the end it is a kind of study, but interesting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.