Galax Goes Liquid With GTX 980, 970 HOF Watercooled Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the purchase of two barb fittings and some tubing, you can already have that with the H240-X / H220-X from Swiftech. But for a $250 premium, I think I'd add my own EK Block.

The voltage adjustment is a nice feature but in recent generations, I haven't seen this feature add much, better clocks yes, better benchies, not significantly so.

argeru

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
I can appreciate the PCB redesign and voltage adjustment, but they want $300 extra for it. And it's just a block, no fittings/tubing/rad or pump/res like on the 295x2
My reference 980 was $500, with a top level EK block for $115. Couple fittings for $15 and I put it in my already built loop for less than $650.

I wouldn't want the rad / pump... would wind up being an aluminum rad and crappy pump like every CLC out there. I'd expect the Swiftech H240X to cool a 4690k and a 980 with a Delta T of about 14C.

Loop cost = $140 for H240-X, $140ish for EK Block and backplate and maybe $20 for tubing and fittings. Ya get whole loop for $300 ... about the same as the HOF premium....

Going to SLI would $140 for block / backplate, $65 for a rad, $30 for 2 fans and another $20 = $255

bootsattheboar

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
A lot of techies find water-cooled systems intimidating, so many are willing to shell out to not to risk damaging a $600 card taking the coolers off and on. And of course, there are people more than willing to do the work and take on the "risk" for a hefty price premium. It might help to find throw-away old video cards on ebay or craigslist and disassemble/reassemble that to build up your confidence.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Why not create a one 240MM closed loop radiator that has two pipes going to CPU and 2 going to GPU.

You are making too much sense.

Remember the Sapphire Atomic 4870 X2 which was a closed loop GPU and CPU combo cooler from 2008?

How about the PNY GTX 580 XLR8 which was a closed loop GPU and CPU combo cooler from 2011?

These things exists and they are great, but these companies want to make more money so they feed it to customers piece by peace. Im still waiting for these to return with a decent sized 280mm radiator or at least a 240mm 38mm thick radiator.

Not practical.

1. 240mm is not enough to dissipate all that heat
2. Too many radiator connections ... Rad => Pump => GPU => CPU
3. No water block design can accommodate all the different card designs.
4. If an all-in-one, Tubes to GPU WB on various MoBos would wind up being too short or too long

The Poseidon is a better option for folks you describe.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Galaxy is charging a whopping $250 for a waterblock and backplate?? I can do better than that by buying my own EKWB waterblock and backplate from FrozenCPU for $150 and installing it myself. And no issues with regards to the warranty since EVGA covers the installation of waterblocks on their graphics cards by the owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.