News Galax RTX 4090 HOF Sports Two 16-Pin Connectors for Up to 1kW Power

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Technology moving backwards.....this is sad
each new gen needs more power and extreme cooling solutions.
With more power comes.. more power?
Why would they invest billions into research for something like that when you have PSU that support that and more?
You are also looking at extreme OC on a extreme high-end card.
AMD is doing something with MCM but they will only capitalize on it truly when NVidia can't just throw more power at the cards and call it a day, similar to how NVidia still wins because it is 1 gen ahead on RT.

Reactions: artk2219

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
will this really matter?

iirc the 4090's hit voltage limits not power limit already?
This board is specifically built for ln2/helium overclocking. Years ago I read a post about how someone did it with a 1080ti. He said the card was pulling 1200+ watts during this process. The 2nd connector serves no purpose for normal use and this is such a low volume card (like 100 total cards) that you'll never see one for sale.

octavecode

Distinguished
With more power comes.. more power?
Why would they invest billions into research for something like that when you have PSU that support that and more?
You are also looking at extreme OC on a extreme high-end card.
AMD is doing something with MCM but they will only capitalize on it truly when NVidia can't just throw more power at the cards and call it a day, similar to how NVidia still wins because it is 1 gen ahead on RT.

I just miss the time when we used to buy a nice combo CPU-board-Gpu at a reasonable price and being able to run it with a reasonable psu and a cheap air cooler 20-30 eu-dollars...
Now everything is expensive , power hungry with high temps even in the mid range.

Last edited:

artk2219

Distinguished
"overclocking legend Rauf, who is currently placed 5th in HWBot's world rankings. "

When did we start considering 5th place losers legends?

Are you on that list at all? No? Then quit trying to belittle the accomplishments of others.

Reactions: octavecode
D

Deleted member 14196

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 these are horrible cards

if I remember correctly, this is what 3dFx did just before they went out of business

Reactions: octavecode

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
3dFx went under because they bought card manufacturer STB so they could cut the card manufacturers out of the loop and manufacture their own video cards and sell them straight to the customers. Combine that with sub standard new chip sets that did not scale they way they hoped and boom no 3dFx. Nvidia bought the charred remains of the the company later. (Patents).

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
I didn't know they still make HOF series cards. The last time I've seen one in the wild (e.g. at a brick and mortar) was a 970 HOF, years ago. Always wanted that one, but it was too expensive, so I settled with a Gigabyte 970 instead.

That icy white colour though, to die for

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
I just miss the time when we used to buy a nice combo CPU-board-Gpu at a reasonable price and being able to run it with a reasonable psu and a cheap air cooler 20-30 eu-dollars...
Now everything is expensive , power hungry with high temps even in the mid range.
True, my $1000 "extreme" GTX670 system was great by comparison and that had a giant Noctua D14 in there lol my problem is not with prices directly though but how there are no good options at a mid range.. well, a mid range that feels like a true mid range not a $2000 a system mid range