Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit - Anyone make this?

Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?

John

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

you need to ask Brent, he has one (not for sale).
but he knows who does or use to make them.
not sure if there still available.
who has it? Brent,

maybe the maker will just chime in on this, or email you.
I think he was worried about copyright problems though.
So it maybe word of mouth only.

Troy,

On 4 Apr 2005 16:51:16 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?

Not a stand alone kit I'm afraid, but Mike Coates makes a very nice
multigame (Multi-Galaxian) with various games that run on Galaxian
hardware and high score save, see here:

http://www.arcades.org.uk/

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?

How many people would be interested in this?

Dave

---

*raising hand*

I would!

~Greg

D Widel wrote:
> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?
>

> How many people would be interested in this?
>
> Dave
>

> ---

I did also do a galaxian high score saver, but never quite finished the
'test routines' I was planning to add to it.

(as well as 'clear high scores' when you use the jumper, I was thinking
of adding ram tests, sound tests and graphic / screen setup type things,
but since there didn't seem much interest, I never finished it)

but it does save high scores - I finished that bit - similar to the
multigame, you get a top 5 high score screen which it keeps (of course!)

max-man wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2005 16:51:16 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?
>

> Not a stand alone kit I'm afraid, but Mike Coates makes a very nice
> multigame (Multi-Galaxian) with various games that run on Galaxian
> hardware and high score save, see here:
>
> http://www.arcades.org.uk/

I'd be interested...

Blaine.

- - -

>I did also do a galaxian high score saver, but never quite finished the
>'test routines' I was planning to add to it.
>
>(as well as 'clear high scores' when you use the jumper, I was thinking
>of adding ram tests, sound tests and graphic / screen setup type things,
>but since there didn't seem much interest, I never finished it)
>
>but it does save high scores - I finished that bit - similar to the
>multigame, you get a top 5 high score screen which it keeps (of course!)
>
>max-man wrote:
>> On 4 Apr 2005 16:51:16 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have this?
>>

>> Not a stand alone kit I'm afraid, but Mike Coates makes a very nice
>> multigame (Multi-Galaxian) with various games that run on Galaxian
>> hardware and high score save, see here:
>>
>> http://www.arcades.org.uk/

Tom

What the heck, if it helps the cause, I am in for a kit.

-Tom

Greg Baumgratz <rgvac_03_05@galaxian.com> wrote in

> *raising hand*
>
> I would!
>
> ~Greg
>

> D Widel wrote:
>> "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Looking for a stand alone Galaxian Hi Score Save Kit. Anyone have
>>>this?
>>

>> How many people would be interested in this?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> ---

Hello Dave.

I wanted to run something by you in regard to an alternative to that
Pac-man pattern generator we discussed a while back.

Since that is a difficult project, what about a "rewind" button instead
that rewinds in real time. Or if it is easier, perhaps a button that
returns the entire game 1 second previous everytime you press it?

I assume that mirroring ram locations would allow this.

Is it plausible to create a pluggagble kit for a Pac-man or Ms.Pac-man
that would allow this. Or perhaps it can more easily be done in MAME.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

Darren

P.S: Only the e-mail below works: Staten.islander@verizon.net

D Widel wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Dave.
> >
> > I wanted to run something by you in regard to an alternative to
that
> > Pac-man pattern generator we discussed a while back.
> >
> > Since that is a difficult project, what about a "rewind" button
instead
> > that rewinds in real time. Or if it is easier, perhaps a button
that
> > returns the entire game 1 second previous everytime you press it?
> >
> > I assume that mirroring ram locations would allow this.
> >
> > Is it plausible to create a pluggagble kit for a Pac-man or
Ms.Pac-man
> > that would allow this. Or perhaps it can more easily be done in
MAME.

> That would be a mame only thing I think. I don't see any way even
with
> extra ram on a board. You'd have to copy all the ram which would
take
> longer than a frame and cause noticeable freezes at every save state.
> suppose you could pick selected ram bytes to copy, but it would still
be
> quite a bit, most of it being the dots from screen memory. hmmm, I
guess
> you could overclock the z80. It wouldn't affect the gameplay since
it runs
> on interrupts.
>
> Using Start 1 to save the state and start 2 to restore could work
though.
> The freeze wouldn't be that big a deal if it just happened once and
not
> every second.
>
> Seems like a lot of work for only one customer though.

I guess that would mean that price would be too high?

After spending $175 for Fred's custom Pac-kit(which doesn't hold a
candle to yours, even if it hadn't failed after only a few plays), I
figured I'd run this particular project idea past you this time.

Hmmm. What if you incorporate such a feature into a future version of
your kit? :)

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> Hello Dave.
>
> I wanted to run something by you in regard to an alternative to that
> Pac-man pattern generator we discussed a while back.
>
> Since that is a difficult project, what about a "rewind" button instead
> that rewinds in real time. Or if it is easier, perhaps a button that
> returns the entire game 1 second previous everytime you press it?
>
> I assume that mirroring ram locations would allow this.
>
> Is it plausible to create a pluggagble kit for a Pac-man or Ms.Pac-man
> that would allow this. Or perhaps it can more easily be done in MAME.

That would be a mame only thing I think. I don't see any way even with
extra ram on a board. You'd have to copy all the ram which would take
longer than a frame and cause noticeable freezes at every save state. I
suppose you could pick selected ram bytes to copy, but it would still be
quite a bit, most of it being the dots from screen memory. hmmm, I guess
you could overclock the z80. It wouldn't affect the gameplay since it runs
on interrupts.

Using Start 1 to save the state and start 2 to restore could work though.
The freeze wouldn't be that big a deal if it just happened once and not
every second.

Seems like a lot of work for only one customer though.

Dave

---

Just run the CPU clock backwards for a few seconds. ;-)

- Craig

D Widel wrote:
> <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Dave.
> >
> > I wanted to run something by you in regard to an alternative to
that
> > Pac-man pattern generator we discussed a while back.
> >
> > Since that is a difficult project, what about a "rewind" button
instead
> > that rewinds in real time. Or if it is easier, perhaps a button
that
> > returns the entire game 1 second previous everytime you press it?
> >
> > I assume that mirroring ram locations would allow this.
> >
> > Is it plausible to create a pluggagble kit for a Pac-man or
Ms.Pac-man
> > that would allow this. Or perhaps it can more easily be done in
MAME.

> That would be a mame only thing I think. I don't see any way even
with
> extra ram on a board. You'd have to copy all the ram which would
take
> longer than a frame and cause noticeable freezes at every save state.
> suppose you could pick selected ram bytes to copy, but it would still
be
> quite a bit, most of it being the dots from screen memory. hmmm, I
guess
> you could overclock the z80. It wouldn't affect the gameplay since
it runs
> on interrupts.
>
> Using Start 1 to save the state and start 2 to restore could work
though.
> The freeze wouldn't be that big a deal if it just happened once and
not
> every second.
>
> Seems like a lot of work for only one customer though.
>
> Dave
>

> ---

> I guess that would mean that price would be too high?

Yes, probably.

> After spending $175 for Fred's custom Pac-kit

Yeah, I was selling mine for $95, but not on the newsgroups and I've already
said all I'm going to say on that subject.

>(which doesn't hold a
> candle to yours, even if it hadn't failed after only a few plays), I
> figured I'd run this particular project idea past you this time.

Thanks :)

> Hmmm. What if you incorporate such a feature into a future version of
> your kit? :)

As it stands right now I don't have enough ram. I did think about save
states at one time, I figured level select would be enough for most people.
I am currently redesigning the 96in1 to make room for Beastie Feastie,
Atlantic City Action, Make Trax and several others. (Actually I'm a little
past the designing I'm more in the software testing phase) I could still go
with a larger NVRAM chip to make save states for a few games possible. It
would add $7 to the costs so there would need to be several people
interested in save states for me to even consider it.. Anyone else?

I guess Mike is on the Galaxian so I won't look at that. When I get back
from vacation I'm going to see if my hi score kit works on bubble bobble
finally and I'm going to get real serious on doing something for my crossbow
that's neglected out in the shed. I'm going to go through and make a list
of all the jamma adapters and stuff I sell and post on my web page too.

Dave

---

D Widel wrote:
> > I guess that would mean that price would be too high?
>
> Yes, probably.
>

> > After spending $175 for Fred's custom Pac-kit
>
> Yeah, I was selling mine for $95, but not on the newsgroups and I've
already
> said all I'm going to say on that subject.

According to Fred at the time, the cost was due to the fact that it was
a custom kit.

> >(which doesn't hold a
> > candle to yours, even if it hadn't failed after only a few plays),
> > figured I'd run this particular project idea past you this time.
>
> Thanks :)
>

> > Hmmm. What if you incorporate such a feature into a future version
of
> > your kit? :)
>
> As it stands right now I don't have enough ram. I did think about
save
> states at one time, I figured level select would be enough for most
people.
> I am currently redesigning the 96in1 to make room for Beastie
Feastie,
> Atlantic City Action, Make Trax and several others. (Actually I'm a
little
> past the designing I'm more in the software testing phase) I could
still go
> with a larger NVRAM chip to make save states for a few games
possible. It
> would add $7 to the costs so there would need to be several people
> interested in save states for me to even consider it.. Anyone else?

I assume that these "save states" would allow one to go back and
correct a "wrong turn" in a pattern, or just help with developing brand
new maze patterns without having to start from the very beginning,
correct?

> I guess Mike is on the Galaxian so I won't look at that. When I get
back
> from vacation I'm going to see if my hi score kit works on bubble
bobble
> finally and I'm going to get real serious on doing something for my
crossbow
> that's neglected out in the shed. I'm going to go through and make a
list
> of all the jamma adapters and stuff I sell and post on my web page
too.

What's the address of your page?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Correct, it would take a snapshot of the state of the game when you
pressed button 1 and restore it when ever you pressed button 2. So
you could use it to save a game and come back later, or work on a
pattern by constantly restoring the same state. There would just be
room for 1 save. Like I said though I need several people or it would
be real expensive.

http://www.widel.com
I'll try to add a for sale list in the next couple of days.