News Galax's PCIe 5.0 SSD Arrives With Beefy Active Heatsink

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
SSD progress has really gone off the rails. We need better efficiency, endurance, and size....not speed. Telling the difference between the pcie3, 4, and 5 ssds is getting pretty damn hard in every day use. I just recently took the upgrade plunge and if I am not looking I generally can't tell.

Stop pushing speed so much and start working on size and endurance. We are already there on speed.

Reactions: drajitsh

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
That very needed cooler will make it impossible to even use with a how big GPUs are and 700 TBW endurance is and absolute joke, it really screams "we have questionable faith on our product's QC".

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
SSD progress has really gone off the rails. We need better efficiency, endurance, and size....not speed. Telling the difference between the pcie3, 4, and 5 ssds is getting pretty damn hard in every day use. I just recently took the upgrade plunge and if I am not looking I generally can't tell.

Stop pushing speed so much and start working on size and endurance. We are already there on speed.

100% agreed. My PCI-e 3.0 drives are plenty fast enough. With how limited motherboards can be for M.2 slots, capacity needs a much heavier focus. Endurance would be great as well, but capacity is my main interest.

I'd like to start seeing quality and affordable 4-8TB NVMe drives with PCI-e 4.0 speeds. Sure, there's some enterprise and datacenter applications that could benefit from PCI-e 5.0 speeds, but the average high-end consumer doesn't need those speeds.

Reactions: JTWrenn

cyrusfox

Distinguished
700 TBW endurance is and absolute joke
How so? Its better than most drives out there.
Samsung only gives you 600 cycles on the 980 or 990 pro, same for Western digital SN850x & Crucial P5. Now Hynix P41 gives 750 cycles on the 1tb or 600cycles on 2tb (1200TBW).
Most TLC drives are around 600 Write cycles, QLC based drive range from 100 to 400 cycles (Solidigm P41 plus highest endurance of any QLC drive).

700 is quite good to be honest, you want better you will need to go enterprise, in the consumer space anything over a couple hundred is overkill.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
This SSD looks "average" in performance for gen 5 SSDs so it will need to be low cost to match. Most folks won't see any significant difference between gen 3-4-5 SSDs unless you are moving large or many files concurrently.

While I have not tested the gen 5 SSDs personally I doubt the majority of them require the huge heatsinks that are being used as a sales gimmick. Who can produce the largest most excessive unnecessary heatsink? :(

TRENDING THREADS