Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
On my grandmas Galaxy J4+, whenever she tries to call someone on Viber or WhatsApp (through WiFi) the calls lasts around 30-60 seconds until WiFi randomly turns off and the call ends. Then I have to turn off the WiFi in the settings of the phone and turn it on again. It’s not a problem with our internet because she can browse the web and watch YT videos without issues. Can someone please help me find the issue, my grandma can’t call any of her relatives and it’s really sad...

Solution
I want to follow up on the above, because what's now getting called a "soft reset" on most sites isn't what I knew as a soft reset, which did NOT erase all user data.

Samsung seems to make the distinction between hard and soft resets by how they're triggered, but the end result is a "restore to factory out of the box" condition.

If you look at this article: https://www.getdroidtips.com/galaxy-j4-tips-recovery-reset-odin/
and get to the section on Soft Resetting, and take a look at the screen shot, you will see that there is an option for Reset Network Settings, and I would try that.

This will mean that you need to set up your connection to the WiFi network again after that reset, but it may resolve your problem.

I...

Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
Have you tried a soft reset on the device? That's what I'd try first.

Also, have any updates to Android that are available for the device been applied?

It’s on Android 9, I have always updated the Android version as soon as it came so it’s always on the newest one. What is a soft reset exactly?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
In this case, please do a web search on "Soft Reset" and your specific make/model.

Most of the tutorials on how to do one also explain what it is.

For contrast, though, a Hard Reset restores the device to it's "out of the box" state as far as the end-user is concerned (though all data is "freed up" and effectively erased, it's not really erased). You don't lose your apps, settings, etc., in a soft reset.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I want to follow up on the above, because what's now getting called a "soft reset" on most sites isn't what I knew as a soft reset, which did NOT erase all user data.

Samsung seems to make the distinction between hard and soft resets by how they're triggered, but the end result is a "restore to factory out of the box" condition.

If you look at this article: https://www.getdroidtips.com/galaxy-j4-tips-recovery-reset-odin/
and get to the section on Soft Resetting, and take a look at the screen shot, you will see that there is an option for Reset Network Settings, and I would try that.

This will mean that you need to set up your connection to the WiFi network again after that reset, but it may resolve your problem.

I apologize about the Soft Reset advice. What I was thinking about was more like a power off and restart with a "system cleaning" of sorts done by Android itself when restarting. That doesn't seem to exist on this device (or perhaps at all anymore). There are things I just don't need to do frequently, and device resets is one of those.

Solution

Kilo007

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2014
In this case, please do a web search on "Soft Reset" and your specific make/model.

Most of the tutorials on how to do one also explain what it is.

For contrast, though, a Hard Reset restores the device to it's "out of the box" state as far as the end-user is concerned (though all data is "freed up" and effectively erased, it's not really erased). You don't lose your apps, settings, etc., in a soft reset.

Yeah I’ll probably hard reset it if it happens one more time. I don’t know what I’m gonna do if that doesn’t work too...

Edit: Whoops didn’t see the second post.

Latest posts