Galaxy Note 8.0 Tablet Arrives in USA This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
This is actually REALLY cool and great for the price. If I had the money to spare I would totally pick one of these up.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I thought they were going to undercut the iPad mini. That price is at least $100 too high. I may have paid that a year and a half ago, but in a world where you can get a refurbished Nexus 7 for $153 shipped, or Samsung's own Galaxy 2 7.0 (brand new) for $150, the cost seems out of line. I understand there are a lot of features on the Note 8.0 that the tabs I just mentioned do not have, but not enough to justify more than 2 and a half times the cost IMO.

royalcrown

Distinguished

I think you are right, if it was 100 dollars less, they'd probably sell out forever...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
really with is had the 3g and 4g antennas liek the eu edition. woudl love to buy even if it cost a hundred or even three hundred mroe to use as a phone replacement

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]4.1??? Isn't 4.2.x out and in use on the Nexus tablet?[/citation]

Good point!

A couple of thoughts... The current Nexus 7 has 4.2.2 and Key Lime Pie is about to drop any time... I wonder how long Samsung will wait to get the Note to 4.2, much less 5.x

The next Nexus 7 will be dropping in July (2-3 months away) for $200 or less if the rumors are true (unlikely) but at $200-$260 with much better hardware the the current model - It will spank the Note 8 that's $419 on PCConnection/NewEgg, to name few sites.

The current and next Nexus 7 will have 3G/4G as an option - Why doesn't the Note include this as it's a killer feature for some people.

Maybe Samsung can make the Galaxy 8 phone out of this form factor for people who need big screens to dial like the phones they sell to old people with bad eyes...

Sent from my Nexus 7

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Good point!A couple of thoughts... The current Nexus 7 has 4.2.2 and Key Lime Pie is about to drop any time... I wonder how long Samsung will wait to get the Note to 4.2, much less 5.xThe next Nexus 7 will be dropping in July (2-3 months away) for $200 or less if the rumors are true (unlikely) but at $200-$260 with much better hardware the the current model - It will spank the Note 8 that's $419 on PCConnection/NewEgg, to name few sites. The current and next Nexus 7 will have 3G/4G as an option - Why doesn't the Note include this as it's a killer feature for some people.Maybe Samsung can make the Galaxy 8 phone out of this form factor for people who need big screens to dial like the phones they sell to old people with bad eyes...Sent from my Nexus 7[/citation]

It seems like Samsung is starting to get 'fat'.. It's now getting in a mode where it's riding on it's name rather than providing cutting edge stuff. I'm actually looking forward to the price drop of the Nexus 7.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]Spooderman[/nom]This is actually REALLY cool and great for the price. If I had the money to spare I would totally pick one of these up.[/citation]

Great for the price? Really? No way in hell is this great for the price -- at the very, very least it's $50 too expensive -- but it's more like $100 too expensive. They need to compete with Apple solely on price, since Android tablets don't have the same tablet app ecosystem compared to Apple. Apple was already charging to much for their iPad mini, and while the iPad mini has a lower resolution screen and no Wacom support, it does have significantly better build quality, and IPS display instead of a TFT display in the Note 8.0 (which frankly is a huge shocker that they put such a crappy screen in for the price), and of course Apple's app store, which has much more in terms of tablet apps than Android at this point. As such, the Note 8.0 is just priced too high. Sad, as I was really looking to get one...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

$419 at PC Connetion and New Egg for features that will be trumped by Google's own Nexus 7 ($200-$260) in 2 months... Hi :)

What reality distortion bubble are you living in? Apple is Samsung's competitor - Just because you stick your head in the sand to ignore Apple doesn't mean it's going anywhere. Don't let your fanboy hate of Apple blind you to the fact that they are a competitor... Competition keeps everyone honest... If this is Samsung's idea of a great idea, I would predict a price drop as soon as the next Nexus 7 and next Ipad Mini drop... Actually, you're gonna see a huge price drop... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.