Galaxy S III Nabs 'Best Selling Smartphone' From iPhone 4S

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The camera on the S3 is horrendous. Compare it to the Lumia 920 or iphone 5..uhh...I do like the extended battery for it tho. My bro has it and it's amazing. 4000mah and 16 bux and looks like it came that way..not an afterthought.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Majority of the people I know have S3's come to think of it. I have a GNex and am a huge fan of HTC phones. They are built so much better than Samsung's. Touch Wiz is such crap. HTC sense at least doesn't mess with the ergonomics..it just adds some graphical spice on top of ICS. Still a fan of custom launchers tho. And what's the big whoop about JB. I understood the urgency to jump from 2.3 to 4.0 cuz ICS is pretty sweet, but I've run JB since July..it's a minor update. Google Now is meh..the notifications are improved, but not enough for all the whining about not getting it over ICS.

wilem_WAR246810

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]Majority of the people I know have S3's come to think of it. I have a GNex and am a huge fan of HTC phones. They are built so much better than Samsung's. Touch Wiz is such crap. HTC sense at least doesn't mess with the ergonomics..it just adds some graphical spice on top of ICS. Still a fan of custom launchers tho. And what's the big whoop about JB. I understood the urgency to jump from 2.3 to 4.0 cuz ICS is pretty sweet, but I've run JB since July..it's a minor update. Google Now is meh..the notifications are improved, but not enough for all the whining about not getting it over ICS.[/citation]

I don't really consider the project butter, offline voice dictation and Expandable notifications to be minor

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]do you want a phone our a camera? I have this in mind too. i want the 908 pureview but here cost 586 dollar. i can get a nikon semi-pro and a lumia 710 por that price.[/citation]

A lot of people use their smartphone as their primary camera on a day-to-day basis so they value having a leading edge smartphone camera, ie. if I'm paying premium money for a flagship device I expect it to have as good or better camera than the others in its class. Comparing a 920 (just out) and iPhone 5 (end of September) to something that was release in June is unfair.

The 920 is being released close to 6 months after the S3, it should have a better camera.

But the consumer reality is now all 3 products are released so a new purchaser who values camera quality highly may not choose an S3, but its done amazingly well and will continue to sell tens of million until the S4 is released.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I want both! The technology is there..the Iphone has had a great camera forever. I'm in the Android camp so I'm stuck with really crappy sensors with worse software. Sine Nokia put a decent camera in, hopefully it will push others on the Android side to work to compete. I DO consider project utter and anything voice related to be useless. My phone is just as responsive and at times unresponsive on ICS or JB. No difference. The expandable notifications I will give credit to. They are useful, but not enough for everyone to be so butt hurt over being 'stuck' on ICS. ICS is great. Enjoy it. JB is ICS with better notifications AND WTF is 4.2 not being renamed. 4.2 Jellybean? Really Google? 4.1.4 would have been more appropriate.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]The camera on the S3 is horrendous. Compare it to the Lumia 920 or iphone 5..uhh...I do like the extended battery for it tho. My bro has it and it's amazing. 4000mah and 16 bux and looks like it came that way..not an afterthought.[/citation]

What are you basing that claim on? While its not the best phone camera on the market is by no means horrendous. We use our GSIII camera all the time and it takes great pictures. I used it to take some pictures of my home theater setup in really low lighting to show some problems with my TV. The pictures were plenty good enough to show all the detail needed to see the problem with my TV picture.
In fact I have not found any situations where the pictures it takes are unacceptable.

The GSIII camera blows away my HTC Evo and Evo design cameras.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Android cameras are good......providing you have an extremely steady hand and whatever you're taking a picture of can also hold still for 3-4 seconds while you take the shot. A difficult feat when it's your children.

wilem_WAR246810

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]I want both! The technology is there..the Iphone has had a great camera forever. I'm in the Android camp so I'm stuck with really crappy sensors with worse software. Sine Nokia put a decent camera in, hopefully it will push others on the Android side to work to compete. I DO consider project utter and anything voice related to be useless. My phone is just as responsive and at times unresponsive on ICS or JB. No difference. The expandable notifications I will give credit to. They are useful, but not enough for everyone to be so butt hurt over being 'stuck' on ICS. ICS is great. Enjoy it. JB is ICS with better notifications AND WTF is 4.2 not being renamed. 4.2 Jellybean? Really Google? 4.1.4 would have been more appropriate.[/citation]

They probably don't care because in the end of the day most people just care about the inner specs, screen size, android version rather than the camera and besides it's not much a threat since it's just running ol' dead Symbian

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]stevelord[/nom]Android cameras are good......providing you have an extremely steady hand and whatever you're taking a picture of can also hold still for 3-4 seconds while you take the shot. A difficult feat when it's your children.[/citation]

I agree. They are good in broad daylight and great lighting conditions. Low light and they are useless. Look at comparison pix of the S3 or HTC phones or Gnex to the IPhone5 and 920 photos. My brother loves his S3, but is soo pissed at the camera. He came from an IPhone 4. To those coming from crap, ya it's not bad. My Gnex camera is pretty good in perfect conditions. It's similar to the S3 camera..terrible in Low light..so all bars, clubs, parties...and anything portraying motion, kids, animals, cars. Horrendous was a strong word, but the 920 shows they can be far better. For hardware costing $6-800..where's the beef?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]rpmrush[/nom]The camera on the S3 is horrendous. Compare it to the Lumia 920 or iphone 5..uhh...I do like the extended battery for it tho. My bro has it and it's amazing. 4000mah and 16 bux and looks like it came that way..not an afterthought.[/citation]
funny because i thought it was the best camera on any phone ive ever seen. it was even better than the newer iphone 5 [im speaking of video quality][citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]do you want a phone our a camera? I have this in mind too. i want the 908 pureview but here cost 586 dollar. i can get a nikon semi-pro and a lumia 710 por that price.[/citation]
i hate people like this. you realize that the new cameras on phones are close to rivaling budget cameras right? it's an excellent feature, and is the difference between a good smartphone and an excellent smartphone.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Never again will I buy a non Nexus phone. You wait forever for updates. That has to change. S3 is only going to get JB 4.1 (don't know when, but people keep saying soon) while the GNex will be on JB 4.2 later on this month probably next week when the Nexus 4 (comes with JB 4.2) get's release.

I configure iPhones at work. They suck. Takes to long to get to the settings and the back buttons are all over the place. iOS is garbage.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
This news smells fishy.
"Apple's iPhone 4S shipped 16.2 million units worldwide."

Apple quarterly report says they sold 26 million phones. Is that the fake news again? Where one company reports "shipped" means manufactured and loaded on tracks, and other company reports "sold" meaning customer paid for it.

What this stands for is - Apple produced enough 4S in Q2 to meet demand in Q3, then stopped shipping 4S phone in mid quarter and was mass producing 5 to meet the demand.
Common sense?
-IvanTO

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I'm glad Google ditched Verizon with the new Nexus 4. I had to root my Nexus and put a custom ROM on to get a timely update. Which is fine cuz flashing is fun, but the OTA for JB came too late for a Nexus device. I have my doubts that Verizon will support 4.2 on my GNex. If you buy a non Nexus, unless u flash a custom ROM, u really shouldn't expect an update. I put ICS on a buddies old Galaxy S Fascinate. Ran great. He was on 2.2 before. Now 4.04. If your on Android, you should enjoy the dev community. Lot's of great things for a lot of unsupported, by OEMs and Carriers, phones.

[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]This news smells fishy. "Apple's iPhone 4S shipped 16.2 million units worldwide."Apple quarterly report says they sold 26 million phones. Is that the fake news again?[/citation]
It is 3rd quarter sales figures, nothing more. The press is trying to spin it into a story with the blurb about the GS3 outselling the iPhone 4S. Unfortunately for Apple, the iPhone 5's release fell in the last two weeks of the quarter. (The iPhone 4S' release was at the beginning of 4th quarter). So Apple's phone sales were mostly split between two models.

Galaxy S3: 18 million
iPhone 4S: 16.2 million
iPhone 5: 6 million

The remaining iPhone models brought Apple's total up to 26.9 million for the third quarter. However, there were 136 million Android smartphones shipped in the same quarter. So Android smartphones are now outselling the iPhone 5:1 (vs 4:1 in 2011).
http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/02/idc-android-market-share-reached-75-worldwide-in-q3-2012/

So yes the GS3 outselling the 4S is newsworthy, but it is not as big a deal as the press is making it out to be. The bigger news is that Android is growing a lot faster than the iPhone (despite faring worse relative to Android, the iPhone still managed to pick up market share at the expense of Symbian and Blackberry).

[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]The remaining iPhone models brought Apple's total up to 26.9 million for the third quarter.[/citation]
I should add that Samsung's total for the quarter was 56+ million smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.