Galaxy S4 With 1080p Super AMOLED Could Debut at CES

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I suppose it would be good for 1080p movie watching, but otherwise, what is the point of a 441ppi display? I can't tell much difference after 300ppi. Give me 350ppi and a longer battery life, or brighter screen!

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I really wish they would make a galaxy with battery can last more than a day, I don't mind if they use lower gen screens and cpu.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
am I the only one that wants a flagship phone maybe around 4.3-4.5 inches? the s3 is a great phone but i don't mind something a bit smaller with all the latest hardware.

all this 1080p is crazy, i rather get improved battery life, micro-sd card, and a removable battery which seems to be lacking in a lot of the new flagships

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sucks for everyone who just bought the S3...lmao. Android devices are obsolete after 3-4 months now.[/citation]

The S3 came out in may. The s4 will likely be in march if shown in January. 3 months, 10 months. Same difference right /sarcasm

obsama1

Distinguished
Sounds great, but the difference b/w 720p and 1080p on a phone is virtually indistinguishable. 1080p will be a bit more crisp and better for movie watching, but it drains the battery. Once battery tech is better, 1080p will be more viable. And what's with the larger screen? The GNote I/II are great phones, even though though I prefer something in the 4.7-4.8" range. However, at 4.8", the GSIII feels great, but it's on the limit of what I'd want. I think Samsung would alienate some customers by making a 5" screen size. 4.8" is perfect. Just keep it that way.

[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]I really wish they would make a galaxy with battery can last more than a day, I don't mind if they use lower gen screens and cpu.[/citation]

It's a choice to have low battery life. My 3500mah battery and door for my S2 were 20 bucks, has worked flawlessly for months, lasts through a 10 hour shift with constant usage and life to spare, and last days with normal usage.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]I really wish they would make a galaxy with battery can last more than a day, I don't mind if they use lower gen screens and cpu.[/citation]

Check YouTube for some Note 2 battery reviews.
My note 2 last all day and then some. I run live wallpaper all day. I would say that 1080p may not be needed as a better battery. 1080p may not be a noticeable improvement over 720p on a 5 inch screen. It may just be for bragging rights.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
OK, now can we PLEASE get some improvements on desktop and laptop screens? Hell, my 23" desktop monitor has the same resolution as this 5" phone.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]guvnaguy[/nom]I suppose it would be good for 1080p movie watching, but otherwise, what is the point of a 441ppi display? I can't tell much difference after 300ppi. Give me 350ppi and a longer battery life, or brighter screen![/citation]

it is good also for looking at photoes , forget about the Apple bluff that you cant see the "pixels" this is a commercial thing... it is about the extra space the high resolution gives you...

dont worry about battery life ... it will be enough , this thing will be 5 inch .. so expect big battery.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]OK, now can we PLEASE get some improvements on desktop and laptop screens? Hell, my 23" desktop monitor has the same resolution as this 5" phone.[/citation]
Well now that we actually have GPU's that are capable of outputting greater than 2560x1600 resolutions, along with interfaces that are capable of carrying those greater resolutions, it might actually happen. I remember people complaining and asking about this before either of these requirements had been met, which was pretty amusing at the time.

The first 4K monitors are already coming to market, although they're astronomically expensive. It's probably going to be quite a few years before we see something like a 27" or 30" 4K monitor come down to reasonable prices, and by reasonable I mean ~$1000.

fudoka711

Distinguished
Samsung is being smart about this. They probably know that the average person looking to buy a brand new phone will not be concentrating on the battery life first. "1080p" is still very much in and big screens just seem cool. Forum goers here know better though =)

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]It's a choice to have low battery life. My 3500mah battery and door for my S2 were 20 bucks, has worked flawlessly for months, lasts through a 10 hour shift with constant usage and life to spare, and last days with normal usage.[/citation]
Does the GSIII offer the ability to remove the back cover?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Cash091[/nom]Does the GSIII offer the ability to remove the back cover?[/citation]

Yes, and the 4-5 companys that make extended batteries for it sell extended back covers also.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Nothing but advertising to keep up with the joneses. Christ, 1080p hardly matters on anything less than 32" unless you are sitting one foot away... or of course high res gaming. For some reason I don't think there will be much a difference for angry birds on that 5" screen. These companies need to stop with the gimmicks and focus on usability and battery life.[/citation]
1080p is not a needed feature, but you can easily tell the difference. Go look at the DNA screen vs all other 720 phones out right now. You will notice the difference between the screens easily. So 1080p isn't a gimmick, rather just a premium feature that will be available for most if not all high-end phones starting in 2013. Also, the S4 will come with the Exynos 5 chips that are much more energy efficient, and will probably come with a battery close to 3000 mAh. If you look at the S1 then S2 and S3, they have upgraded the batteries each generation. Also, all of Samsung's Galaxy phones have come with removable batteries, meaning you can easily just buy a 3500-5500 mAh battery online and replace it.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]guvnaguy[/nom]I suppose it would be good for 1080p movie watching, but otherwise, what is the point of a 441ppi display? I can't tell much difference after 300ppi. Give me 350ppi and a longer battery life, or brighter screen![/citation]
There is no point. But try telling that to Apple with their Retina display. Hype sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.