Galaxy S4 With 1080p Super AMOLED Could Debut at CES

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]am I the only one that wants a flagship phone maybe around 4.3-4.5 inches? the s3 is a great phone but i don't mind something a bit smaller with all the latest hardware. all this 1080p is crazy, i rather get improved battery life, micro-sd card, and a removable battery which seems to be lacking in a lot of the new flagships[/citation]

I am with you. I am currently using an S2. Extremely happy with it. It's perfect in size. I can't understand why each generation of galaxy S phone must grows bigger....they already have a Galaxy Note for that....

I want an S5 at S2 size!!!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Apple should buy its own display manufacturer.[/citation]
They can. But none of those can come close to the quality and quantity by Samsung....:p

Bricktop

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]am I the only one that wants a flagship phone maybe around 4.3-4.5 inches? the s3 is a great phone but i don't mind something a bit smaller with all the latest hardware. all this 1080p is crazy, i rather get improved battery life, micro-sd card, and a removable battery which seems to be lacking in a lot of the new flagships[/citation]

Agreed. I have a tablet, so why do I need a 5" phone. Show me a phone roughly the size of the Moto RAZR M but add a 720p 4.3" screen, a larger battery, 16GB+ of storage, Samsung Exynos 5 SoC, and full-body premium materials and I would be sold.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Do you carry your tablet around with you all day? That's why there is 5 inch+ phones/phablets, There are many out there me included that have both a phone and tablet but would rather just carry one device somewhere in between that does everything!
And for those who can not afford to have both it also makes perfect sense to compromise. They can get an all in one device nothing too small that it's hard to use/read and nothing too big 7inch+ that is awkward to carry around all day. There is a huge market for 5 inch phones and I see it becoming mainstream, Galaxy series/note started the trend but now many other phone makers are doing the same.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]IQ11110002[/nom]Do you carry your tablet around with you all day? That's why there is 5 inch+ phones/phablets, There are many out there me included that have both a phone and tablet but would rather just carry one device somewhere in between that does everything!And for those who can not afford to have both it also makes perfect sense to compromise. They can get an all in one device nothing too small that it's hard to use/read and nothing too big 7inch+ that is awkward to carry around all day. There is a huge market for 5 inch phones and I see it becoming mainstream, Galaxy series/note started the trend but now many other phone makers are doing the same.[/citation]
That is precisely why I replaced my SGS3 and 4th gen iPad with a Galaxy Note II.

phil_livesey

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
smartphones are just becoming too big imo. apple have got it right, make the screen a bit bigger, and just improve the specs. however, the only thing i don't agree about the iphone 5 is the price. the galaxy s3 is too big and if the s4 is going to have a 5inch screen it will just be ridiculous.

1080p with 10%~20% less battery life...yippee hooray...not. Come on 1080p on a 5" screen accompanied by bad battery life, yeah if I hold my phone 2" way from my eyeball. I need a 4G LTE phone with 8 hours of talk/use time; charge free during the day. However, if you want 1080p (today) then get the HTC Droid DNA, but be warned the battery life sucks (4~5 hours) and since it's the same screen as the HTC I suspect the same battery life to follow the Samsung.

Also if Samsung keeps the design as in this article then kiss away ~1/2"+ for the home screen buttons vs dedicated buttons on the HTC shown below.

The HTC Droid DNA uses the same 5" screen, $200 @ Verizon; Qualcomm® APQ8064 Quad-core 1.5 GHz with 16GB/2GB RAM and 8 MP/2.1 MP.
21_hero_media_4.jpg

G

Agreed. I have a tablet, so why do I need a 5" phone. Show me a phone roughly the size of the Moto RAZR M but add a 720p 4.3" screen, a larger battery, 16GB+ of storage, Samsung Exynos 5 SoC, and full-body premium materials and I would be sold.

Of course they can do this. But, then, how can they sell new phones every 6 months if everyone have the
"perfect" phone ?

jackiedan

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
5 inches? Are they kidding me? The maximum size I would handle is 4.3, and that's it. If samsung keeps doing phones this large I might switch to Apple or Sony because of this.

jackiedan

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

I couldn't agree more.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]I am with you. I am currently using an S2. Extremely happy with it. It's perfect in size. I can't understand why each generation of galaxy S phone must grows bigger....they already have a Galaxy Note for that....I want an S5 at S2 size!!![/citation]

I agree with you both!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sucks for everyone who just bought the S3...lmao. Android devices are obsolete after 3-4 months now.[/citation]
Odd statement since it's predecessor was released 6 months ago, and when this phone is unveiled the S3 will have 8 months.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Sucks for everyone who just bought the S3...lmao. Android devices are obsolete after 3-4 months now.[/citation]

There is a huge difference between being "obsolete" and being "not the newest". My three or four years old Samsung Transform is arguably obsolete compared to today's phones because it literally doesn't have the performance to run some apps these days (IE it can run Angry Birds Rio, but no other version of Angry birds works on it). The Galaxy S3 is not obsolete because it has no such problem.

I'd even go as far as saying something such as the HTC Evo 4G from two years ago is not obsolete because it too has no such problem despite it's mere 1GHz single-core Snapdragon SoC. Also, as others have stated, your time frame numbers are highly inaccurate.

myardor

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I want bigger screen, can you say 32 incher?

Being old and almost blind does not help

Hey, I can find a way to carry it

i want better than 1080, how about 8K?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Samsung already has that, its called the S3 Mini.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-1108587/review/1#articleContent

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
i honestly do not care for the bigger screen, Having used the Iphone 5 i can honestly say it is a better designed phone than the s3. It feels "meatier " and is far more ergonomic to use for my hands. I can just use the Iophone with 1 hand and my thumb is not stretched constantly. The larger screen makes no difference to me as the phone simply feels better.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Based on this, http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/10/resolving-the-iphone-resolution/. It's not much of a bluff for most people. (Read it, it's quite interesting.) :)

Anyway, am I the only one who's surprised that AMOLED screens are already made with such a pixel density? I could just be really late with the news.

G

Seems like the simple solution would be to make multiple sizes of flagship phones. Have a Samsung Galaxy 4.43 with a 4.3 inch display. Have a Samsung Galaxy 4.49 with a 4.99 inch display and so on... and so on. Don't dumb down the hardware specs on any of them. Just screen sizes would be enough change to satisfy people's too small/too big issues. If you gotta thicken the smaller phones for components sake, do it. Make a couple's bundle colored in balls blue and coochie pink and call it a day.

G

Wow, if this is true that would be great. I actually want to get the Samsung ATIV S, but by the time that comes out it seems outdated already. Hopefully the ATIV S will get an upgrade as well :-D

masterman467

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Nothing but advertising to keep up with the joneses. Christ, 1080p hardly matters on anything less than 32" unless you are sitting one foot away... or of course high res gaming. For some reason I don't think there will be much a difference for angry birds on that 5" screen. These companies need to stop with the gimmicks and focus on usability and battery life.[/citation]
but you are siting a foot away from a smartphone.... less, even. my lg marquee on a desktop site you can barely read the font without zooming in a lot. 1080p would be frekin awesome. usability? ya think they are just going to re-hash the s3? this is going to be a 1000 dollar phone (probably). im sure they will add MANY new features? batterylife?

masterman467

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
yeah it will more then likely suck power like orange juice. but thats a trade off. carry a little usb to mini usb cable, you can plug it in to anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.