Galaxy S5 Could Sport 2560x1440 Display Over 5 Inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
1 question: Why that resolution ? Are we this retarded to run after numbers ? Why not let it 1080p (even this i find it ridiculous on a phone) and conserve energy in the battery ?

May 2, 2013
"Why that resolution ? Are we this retarded to run after numbers ? Why not let it 1080p (even this i find it ridiculous on a phone) and conserve energy in the battery ? "

Because they have nothing else to "innovate" on. Welcome to the early 2000's GHz and late 2000's MPixel wars. It's what happens when a product segment matures and you have nowhere to go but you're under the gun with a yearly release cycle.

Basically we should be heading for an interface design that could work with a dock and have our phones replace our laptops but I guess that's too much to ask for.

IB

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Screw why the resolution, a 500$ phone with that display and such amazing PPI....why the $)(T*$ are 28inch 1440p monitors still going for about 700$~?

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Right now we all love big again. So big screen with crazy res is what we get. Next we will go the opposite and want no screen (aka Google Glass or something like that). Then everyone will compete to how small they can make the viewer. I say skip all the crap and come out with a phone that I can just put a tiny thing behind my ear and it will do what I think and calling people will work almost like telepathy. That would be some serious market improvement.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Making it more iPhone like but making sure it has better specs. I still laugh how Samesung names its Galaxy phone the opposite of iPhone with S5 to Apple's 5S. Anyways Samsung is a great parts manufacturer and great with dev'ing LCD screens of all types. Too bad it is such an unethical company that I cannot buy anything with their name on it.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Seriously give the resolution war a break. 4K displays on big screens arent affordable yet... Focus on more denser battery manufacturing...

The only thing that caught my attention was the ISOCELL camera. I am curious what it can bring to the table, in theory sounds pretty good.
The screen... just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. That kind of PPI does not really bring anything new to the user experience, and that resolution makes sense on a tablet.

Robochamp

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

wow! Just wow! Do not even know where to begin.

1) How is it making it more iPhone like when the shape is not the same and iPhones are smaller.
2) You do realize that it being named Galaxy S5 has NOTHING to do with the iPhone 5S. You should think before you post.
3) Samsung makes the best smartphones with THEIR parts. They offer more than Apple. Apple ripped of the
LG Prada and since 2010 has been stealing android features and now Apple is about to rip off Samsung with bigger phones and phablets.
4) Apple will continue to shrink in market share. With a year it will be in the single digits. :)

You already own stuff made by Samsung. Even that iPhone of yours has Samsung parts in it. Same goes for your TVs and the other electronics you have.
The Galaxy naming has nothing to do with your iPhone. They had the original Galaxy S1, then the S2, the S3, etc. That S that you see it's just part of it's name (as opposed to the "super-duper" S used by Apple in their "rinse and repeat" editions).
Lastly, their unethical practices are not foreign to other tech companies, Apple included. You can't apply that criterion unilaterally without shooting your credibility all to pieces (which is what you just did). Besides, if you let your ethical compass decide what to buy, you should only consider Nokia, HTC, and maybe Motorola.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

I feel bad for you that you would intentionally narrow down your choice of available products just so you can prove your fandom to a company that has zero interest in you.

tjandrew

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
>>>I still laugh how Samesung names its Galaxy phone the opposite of iPhone with S5 to Apple's 5S

Samsung started using the "S" in 2010 - a full year before Apple.

Robochamp

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
otacon , November 19, 2013 3:30 PM
Does it come with a backpack to carry it around in? Larger screen?....pointless.. 8 core processor? useless.... the Samsung way.

Hey moderators, how about doing something about otacon who continually posts the same trollish drivel.

1) Larger screens is what the public wants and even Apple knows this which is why they are making their next iphone bigger and developing a 6 inch phablet.

2) You need a back pack for a 5 inch screen? Are a new born child? and you make the exact same comment on every android article that mentions a big screen. Almost all your posts are just the same lame childish empty posts.

3) 8 core processor is actually useful when you have a real multitasking OS like android.

Robochamp

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Samsung cares more about consumers buy offering them CHOICE! Models of all shapes,sizes and power levels as well as different levels in pricing. They also offer micro sd slots and removable batteries. Everything is about consumer wants.

Apple on the other hand offers you NO choice and tells you what you want and how you want to do it.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I've been using a Galaxy S3 for the better part of 2 year and it's been a very good phone. It has accomplished everything I've asked it to do without breaking a sweat. In fact, no phone that has came out since has offered me any reason to even consider upgrading. As a result, in a few months or so I will seriously be considering another Samsung model.

The screen on the S3 is very good. I have a hard time telling the difference between it and those on 1080 phones in terms of pixel density. Therefore, 2550x1440 would probably go unnoticeable. The screen could be improved in terms of visibility in bright sunlight though.

Most people here know what I think of Apple so I won't go into that except to say that my S3 has aged a hell of a lot better than the 4S iPhones a lot of my family picked up at the same time which either shattered like nothing, had home buttons go bad, or got slow to the point of being almost unusable after the iOS 7 upgrade. Coincidentally, they all now use Moto Xs. I chose not to upgrade as my mint condition S3 running Cyanogenmod today runs faster than the day it came out of the box.

Apple is gone from our household with the exception of a couple of Macbooks which will be out the door as soon as I pass out Chromebooks at Christmas.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
The larger screen resolution is merely to sell the device as a first with this resolution gimmick. When samsung designs their touchwiz overlay they do so in a manner that does not take advantage of the extra size. Space wise my note 3 has the exact layout as my old note 2. 4x4 for icons with a 5 button bottom. Aside from a little more clarity of the text and images there is no difference in pixel utilization with the note 3 s 1080p screen. It is going to be funny to see them do the same with the s5 and anything larger than 1080p.

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
quote: >>>I still laugh how Samesung names its Galaxy phone the opposite of iPhone with S5 to Apple's 5S

Samsung started using the "S" in 2010 - a full year before Apple.

Um... the Apple 3GS was released in June of 2009. So... no.

But I agree that the "S" that Samsung uses has nothing to do with Apple and their "S" naming scheme.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Samsung's director of marketing Akshay Agarwal would argue that most of their users don't understand or care about hardware specifications, so why not take advantage of that ignorance?

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
wow...a 2560x1440 phone...and here my 13" notebook still using the lame 1366x768 resolution. Someone really need to invent a way to output notebook display to phone, and an accompanying 17" magnifying glass.

I think this is one of those things where you simply do what you can do in lou of what you cannot do. Samsung can't magically make batteries significantly more efficient, and they can't make their CPUs magically faster, and they can only do so much with Android customization as they are clearly not a software company.... but they are more than capable of making displays with higher pixel count, and moving from plastics to metals, so that is what they are going to do.

The problem is that they are rushing after the high from the SGS3, and that lightning simply isn't going to strike twice so quickly together. Focus on battery life, storage performance, and camera. If someone can get a pureview class camera on a phone that lasts more than a day or two, and can have decent load times then they will win over the business of much of the more mature smartphone crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.