Question Galaxy S9 screen repair gone wrong due to battery spark and smoke

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I was replacing the front screen and back plate of my girflriend's galaxy s9, and everything was going well until i tried taking the battery out. i disconnected the battery, and i used a blow dryer on it for 30 seconds to melt the glue, but even then i couldn't get it to budge, and at this point i was about to puncture the side i was prying on. so i tried the other side and used the only thing that would fit under it, the small screwdriver the kit came with.

I managed to lift it a bit, but when I did, it sparked and smoked. I freaked out and pushed it back down and it was good. I then tried the same thing and it sparked and smoked more, so i put it back down again. IDK what I did wrong but im scared to touch it. I hope it was just the battery that is screwed now and not the the whole phone. Does anyone have any idea what happened? did i do something wrong?

connorman01

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I am an idiot and had a fundamental misunderstanding of how this battery is built. I thought it was a battery inside of some sort of insulated case, but no that was the whole battery and i shorted it.