[SOLVED] Galaxy Tab S5e vs iPad 10.2 (2019)

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
Hello,
Need some help with simple enough question - Galaxy Tab S5e 64GB 4GB RAM or iPad 10.2 (2019) 32GB, which would be better?
Few points:
  1. Price is almost identical for me;
  2. Not a heavy tablet user - using PC for work/games and TV for watching content;
  3. Mostly for media consuming, browsing, reading and travel, no gaming (S5e with better screen and 16:10 wins media but ipad with 4:3 and safari definately wins for browsing and reading);
  4. No need for Apple pen or stylus (for iPad Pro it would be necessity but at this price point - seems kinda moronic to buy pen which costs 1/3 of tablet, maybe only if the price goes way down);
  5. Don't have any other Apple products but I've had iPhones before and I'm not invested in Android either (don't have any paid apps I would need), so I can use both with no problems.
Besides great OLED screen, speakers and storage, downsides that I found for s5e are sub-par chipset, no headphone jack (though using dongle wouldn't be much of a problem) and Android ecosystem (which maybe wouldn't bother me much because I'm not using that many apps). iPad, on the other hand, with better performance overall and ecosystem has worse non laminated screen (though how noticeable is it and does it even really matter?) Thanks for any help.

Solution
Storing shouldn't be a problem even with 32gb, Apple TV is very unlikely and I use Spotify. At the moment I'm using Galaxy S10+ but I might switch back to iOS when the new iPhones comes out. My biggest ipad concerns are with display.
iPad displays are fine, the pros with the 120Hz screens are amazing but they're all retina so unless you have your nose pressed into the glass you won't see any pixels. OLED is a nice thing when watching content but you won't notice it most of the time and it drains battery more than LCD when displaying anything but black and there's always that risk of burn in. One of the reasons I bought a XR over a XS last year was i didn't want an OLED screen.

Was just showing that you have more options with...
Hello,
Need some help with simple enough question - Galaxy Tab S5e 64GB 4GB RAM or iPad 10.2 (2019) 32GB, which would be better?
Few points:
  1. Price is almost identical for me;
  2. Not a heavy tablet user - using PC for work/games and TV for watching content;
  3. Mostly for media consuming, browsing, reading and travel, no gaming (S5e with better screen and 16:10 wins media but ipad with 4:3 and safari definately wins for browsing and reading);
  4. No need for Apple pen or stylus (for iPad Pro it would be necessity but at this price point - seems kinda moronic to buy pen which costs 1/3 of tablet, maybe only if the price goes way down);
  5. Don't have any other Apple products but I've had iPhones before and I'm not invested in Android either (don't have any paid apps I would need), so I can use both with no problems.
Besides great OLED screen, speakers and storage, downsides that I found for s5e are sub-par chipset, no headphone jack (though using dongle wouldn't be much of a problem) and Android ecosystem (which maybe wouldn't bother me much because I'm not using that many apps). iPad, on the other hand, with better performance overall and ecosystem has worse non laminated screen (though how noticeable is it and does it even really matter?) Thanks for any help.
If you don't intend to store much on the system just stream I'd take the ipad. Also gives you access to apple tv should you want it and iTunes and apple music whicvh does run on android but isn't as good.

The iPad is a lot better if you have the iPhone to switch between or mac for the same + sidecar so you may want to think about that with your next phone for example if you enjoy the things iOS does.

The iPad will almost certainly outlast the Samsung in software support. Apple you generally get 5 year on iOS/PadOS devices, sometimes 6. PadOS 13 supports back to the ipad air 2 from 2014 so even if that doesn't get 14 in September that's 6 years support.

Reactions: xantoo

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
If you don't intend to store much on the system just stream I'd take the ipad. Also gives you access to apple tv should you want it and iTunes and apple music whicvh does run on android but isn't as good.

The iPad is a lot better if you have the iPhone to switch between or mac for the same + sidecar so you may want to think about that with your next phone for example if you enjoy the things iOS does.

The iPad will almost certainly outlast the Samsung in software support. Apple you generally get 5 year on iOS/PadOS devices, sometimes 6. PadOS 13 supports back to the ipad air 2 from 2014 so even if that doesn't get 14 in September that's 6 years support.

Storing shouldn't be a problem even with 32gb, Apple TV is very unlikely and I use Spotify. At the moment I'm using Galaxy S10+ but I might switch back to iOS when the new iPhones comes out. My biggest ipad concerns are with display.

iPad displays are fine, the pros with the 120Hz screens are amazing but they're all retina so unless you have your nose pressed into the glass you won't see any pixels. OLED is a nice thing when watching content but you won't notice it most of the time and it drains battery more than LCD when displaying anything but black and there's always that risk of burn in. One of the reasons I bought a XR over a XS last year was i didn't want an OLED screen.

Was just showing that you have more options with an iPad if you want to take them and I used to have spotify too until I used the 3 month apple music trial ;)

I don't stream I download so the 32GB would be a deal breaker for me that's why I brought it up.

Solution