Question Game crashed and then pc won't boot, looks to be a graphics card problem

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
TLDR: My pc crashed whilst i was playing overwatch and wouldn't boot, motherboard light indicates a gpu problem

I recently changed over my motherboard and had to reinstall pretty much all my components.I turned the pc on and used it for a few hours yesterday with no issues (except my HDD not being found)

I took out the graphics card (to fix the HDD) and put it back, but it felt like it wasn't fully in the pci slot, regardless I booted up the computer and it worked fine.

I had been using the computer for a few hours with simple browsing and low intensity activities so I decided to test how my new cpu and RAM upgrades would fair better for gaming, I hadn't changed the GPU as it didn't need upgrading.

When i started playing a game of overwatch the game ran for a bit and I played it whilst having YouTube open on the other screen, after about 2 minutes however the whole pc froze, the audio got stuck and i had to power the pc down holding the power button

When i went to turn it back on, the fans and lights on everything work, but i get a VGA light on my msi mobo and a beep code that indicates vga problems. I've tried taking out the card and re seating it, but i don't think I have onboard graphics and need the graphics card. No image is displayed on my screen but my mouse and keyboard light up as if they are usable

Any suggestions appreciated

Using an msi R9 280x GPU
A Ryzen 2600X CPU and an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard

Last edited:

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
Replace the PSU, it's a well known system killer.

After you get a new GOOD quality PSU of at least 550W or better 650W see if the GPU works.
In the process of just wanting a new cpu, I've had to buy a new cpu, new ram, and a new motherboard. I'd seriously rather not buy a new psu because that MIGHT be a fix, I've also been using this graphics card with this psu for over 2 years with no issues (see the post above I think it may be an r9 270x)

In the process of just wanting a new cpu, I've had to buy a new cpu, new ram, and a new motherboard. I'd seriously rather not buy a new psu because that MIGHT be a fix, I've also been using this graphics card with this psu for over 2 years with no issues (see the post above I think it may be an r9 270x)

And?

It is very possible that the PSU took out the GPU already.

Well it's up to you, but you are putting your whole system at risk using that PSU.

It is a very well known system killer, you need a new PSU anyway.

I would start budgeting for a new MB and GPU and possible RAM and CPU soon if I was you, you are going to need them soon enough. ;)

Last edited:

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
And?

It is very possible that the PSU took out the GPU already.

Well it's up to you, but you are putting your whole system at risk using that PSU.

It is a very well known system killer, you need a new PSU anyway.

I would start budgeting for a new MB and GPU and possible RAM and CPU soon if I was you, you are going to need them soon enough. ;)

I upgraded my ram cpu and motherboard 2 weeks ago, probably not gonna look into upgrading them any time soon. Saying to replace the PSU makes sense only if you could give me a reason as to why the power supply would suddenly be a problem, the PSU and GPU are the only parts that haven't been upgraded so why would they suddenly become incompatible.

I upgraded my ram cpu and motherboard 2 weeks ago, probably not gonna look into upgrading them any time soon. Saying to replace the PSU makes sense only if you could give me a reason as to why the power supply would suddenly be a problem, the PSU and GPU are the only parts that haven't been upgraded so why would they suddenly become incompatible.

I told you the reason twice already.

That PSU is a system killer, a very well known system killer, you are putting your system at risk by using it.

If you like your PC and want to keep it replace the PSU.

It likely already wasted the GPU so plan on buying a new one along with a new PSU.

Get a new PSU 1st, don't risk a new GPU with that PSU.

Last edited:

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I told you the reason twice already.

That PSU is a system killer, a very well known system killer, you are putting your system at risk by using it.

If you like your PC and want to keep it replace the PSU.

It likely already wasted the GPU so plan on buying a new one along with a new PSU.

Get a new PSU 1st, don't risk a new GPU with that PSU.

What power supply do you recommend. What specifically made this one bad that I should avoid for the next one?

What power supply do you recommend. What specifically made this one bad that I should avoid for the next one?

The one you have is very poor quality, one of the worst PSU's Corsair ever made, it does take out components due to very poor protections and low build quality parts. The CX series was never supposed to be used in gaming systems etc in the 1st place. It was for low end and simple business PCs.

Do not cheap out on the PSU, it is the most important part in the PC by far.

As far as a new one goes, get a good high quality Unit and 650W would be best.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2
Corsair RMX

Last edited:

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
The one you have is very poor quality, one of the worst PSU's Corsair ever made, it does take out components due to very poor protections and low build quality parts. The CX series was never supposed to be used in gaming systems etc in the 1st place. It was for low end and simple business PCs.

Do not cheap out on the PSU, it is the most important part in the PC by far.

As far as a new one goes, get a good high quality Unit and 650W would be best.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2
Corsair RMX
EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Power Supply 100-W1-0600-K3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01127D0MY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wIeaDbWPEATZP

This one alright? I'm pretty sure my pc won't be using any more than about 400W atm so the wattage should be fine

TRENDING THREADS