[SOLVED] Game Crashes and AMD driver timeouts when adding more RAM

Jul 20, 2021
Hi all,

My PC

16gb Gskillz trident Z @ 3600

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rx 5700xt

2 1TB SSDS

I recently bought another kit of the same ram listed above, and after using it I'm now experiencing AMD driver timeouts and Game crashes ( unity errors in EFT ) that I never experienced before. But after running memtest86 with all 32gb of ram installed with XMP on it would detect errors, but after turning XMP off it wouldnt detect any errors. I then tested every ram stick by itself with XMP on and off and no errors were detected. So at this point I'm not sure if it could be a Ram issue or something else like the CPU or The MOBO.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi all,

My PC

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rx 5700xt

2 1TB SSDS

I recently bought another kit of the same ram listed above, and after using it I'm now experiencing AMD driver timeouts and Game crashes ( unity errors in EFT ) that I never experienced before. But after running memtest86 with all 32gb of ram installed with XMP on it would detect errors, but after turning XMP off it wouldnt detect any errors. I then tested every ram stick by itself with XMP on and off and no errors were detected. So at this point I'm not sure if it could be a Ram issue or something else like the CPU or The MOBO.

Thanks in advance.

It's never a good idea to mix RAM kits due to differences in Latency and this can happen even if...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

My PC

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rx 5700xt

2 1TB SSDS

Thanks in advance.
Set XMP, increase the memory voltage to 1.4 from 1.35 and run memtest again.

Hi all,

My PC

Ryzen 7 3700x

Rx 5700xt

2 1TB SSDS

Thanks in advance.

It's never a good idea to mix RAM kits due to differences in Latency and this can happen even if they are exactly the same specs.

Realize you have 3600Mhz OC RAM whereas your 3700x supports up to 3200Mhz. There may not be an XMP profile for easy Overclocking. In which case you will have to program your SPD manually in Bios.

Is there a need for 32GB as 16GB is plenty enough for general purpose use and Gaming?

Solution