Game crashes when gpu's temperature reaches 75 c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I can play those games whose temp. is below 75 c. I can play game like FIFA 17 as long as i want and with msi afterburner i have noticed that the temp. is below 75 c ( around 65 c ).

I cant play games like bf3/bf4/nfs mostwanted 2012 and son on because the gpu temp. reaches 75 c or sometime 76/77 c.

I have tried almost all the procedures to solve this problem but failed. i have even bought new ram sticks but no positive results :( .

Below is my config :-

processor: i5 3470k,
mobo : Asrock h61-dps,
gpu : Saphire 7770 ghz edition,
psu : Corsair vs 450,
hdd : WD 1 TB.

Please just put me out of my misery :( .

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Well, at first fifa 17 also used to crash but i cleaned the gpu then i ran fifa 17 again and the problem with fifa 17 was solved and i thought my game crashing problem was solved.
Then i played bf3 / bf4 / tomb raider 2016, but they all crashes at 75 c
And yes, there still are some dust left, which may take more time to clean.

Whats your thought on this ?

EDIT : no, my gpu is not overclocked and there is no noise from the fan.

If there's not a significant amount of dust that shouldn't be the problem. I guess the next things to move on to would be the fan curve and the thermal paste. For the fan curve, have you tried running a stress test in MSI afterburner and turning up the fan manually? Also are the aluminum fins hot to the touch?

justinx01

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2013
I have a Sapphire 7870 XT and had crashes in games, although was random (requiring a reboot). It would happen once a day or once every month or two. Was so random. I believed I fixed it though as of yesterday. I put my fan speed at 65% instead of auto and it keeps my temperatures down to 57-60c, even on BF4/BF1 (Playing them on high settings). Played Shadow Warrior and it stays at around like 47-50c (Not a graphically demanding game).

Maybe try that?

Well you don't want to have to turn the fans manually every time, otherwise you have a loud gpu that's not under load and one that crashes if you forget to turn the fans on. That's why it's best to just change the existing fan curve.

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

I actually set the fan speed to 70% but it still climbs up to 75 c eventually and thus causes the crash.
Thanks for responding btw :)

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Well, i will clean it again anyway just to be sure.

Okay, I will have a stress test for the fan curve.

I don't know about the aluminium fins as of now.

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

I am scared to max out the fan to 100%
The seller told me not to exceed 70%.

Will 100% fan speed cause any problem ?

No, it's limited to that for a reason. You shouldn't have to ever go to 100% under normal circumstances though. You might want to consider changing the thermal paste on the gpu if you're sure of these things and it's still overheating.

1. There's no dust clogging the fins
2. The fan is operating correctly
3. You have adequate airflow in your case

You don't stress test for the fan curve, you just turn on a stress test (which pegs your gpu to 100% usage) and turn up the fan manually until it's stable at the temperature you want, then you can go into the settings and change the fan curve.

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Okay bro, thanks.
I will do what you have said and will surely let you know if it solved my problem :)

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Sorry for asking but whats a fan curve ? :p

It's an x-y curve that your gpu uses to determine fan speed. If you click on settings in afterburner, go to the fan tab, and click on the checkbox labelled "enable user defined...," you'll get a visual representation of the curve. You can play around with the grey boxes so that the fan speeds up or slows down at the temperatures you want.

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

okay

i will try this :)

Triple_AAA

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016

Hey bro, it worked :D
Thanks for suggesting or i would not have tried this.

Seeya !

Status
Not open for further replies.