[SOLVED] Game crashes when I play First Person Shooters

Oct 2, 2019
I have a strange issue with my pc where it will regularly crash my pc when playing only FPS games. I can play any other type of game and have no issue but when I try Black Ops 3 or Battlefield 1 or Battlefield V the crash will happen.

The crash is my headset, keyboard & mouse just stop working. The game will continue with my toon running forward but I have no input. It appears there is no power in any of my devices even when I change usb ports in the motherboard or when I change and try the usb ports on my tower itself.

As I said it only seems to happen on first person shooters. It has been going on for a year and made me stop playing Black Ops 3 as I thought it was just an issue with that game, but now I am trying to play the 2 Battlefield games so realise its a bigger issue.

Windows 10 64bit
i7 5930k
32gb RAM
Vega 56

Solution
Out of curiosity, what headset are you using? I don't see any reason the KB/M would work fine in other type games, but not FPS. All the FPS you described are also popular for MP.

My theory is it might have something to do with how your headset works with VOIP in games, and may also have to do with your MP VOIP settings in those games. This would be particularly if you're playing those games online.

The way to test for this is try unplugging your headset and switch to speakers if you have any. If the problem goes away, it's either a conflict with your headset or MP VOIP settings. If it goes away, then try adjusting VOIP settings.

The other thing it could be is a problem with either the PC's USB controller, headset driver (if required)...
Out of curiosity, what headset are you using? I don't see any reason the KB/M would work fine in other type games, but not FPS. All the FPS you described are also popular for MP.

My theory is it might have something to do with how your headset works with VOIP in games, and may also have to do with your MP VOIP settings in those games. This would be particularly if you're playing those games online.

The way to test for this is try unplugging your headset and switch to speakers if you have any. If the problem goes away, it's either a conflict with your headset or MP VOIP settings. If it goes away, then try adjusting VOIP settings.

The other thing it could be is a problem with either the PC's USB controller, headset driver (if required) not being up to date, USB controller driver, or even system file problems.

Besides Event Viewer as mentioned, you can check for missing drivers in Device Manager, and run a SFC scan to check for system file problems. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Solution
Oct 2, 2019
Thanks guys, the crash just happened and I used minitoolbox to find this error happened at the time.

Error: (10/02/2019 09:15:51 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: svchost (15552,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

My headset is an old Corsair one cant remember the name but this was the 4th one I had due to the previous 3 being faulty a few years ago. So it wouldnt surprise me if this was the cause of the problem. I will try not using it and see what happens now.

Thanks guys, the crash just happened and I used minitoolbox to find this error happened at the time.

Error: (10/02/2019 09:15:51 PM) (Source: ESENT) (User: )
Description: svchost (15552,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

My headset is an old Corsair one cant remember the name but this was the 4th one I had due to the previous 3 being faulty a few years ago. So it wouldnt surprise me if this was the cause of the problem. I will try not using it and see what happens now.
does it shows any other error? my windows has also broken edb.log while nothing crashes / everything super stable
its just windows search database