Question Game crashes with new TV

Feb 18, 2019
Hi there,

I recently upgraded form a 32 inch HD tv to a 50 inch FHD tv. I run my PC using the tv as a monitor and never had issues before. Since getting the larger screen tv games keep crashing. When starting up the PC i can play for about 45 mins before the first crash. After that it gets more frequent until the point where it crashes almost immediately.

I have installed the latest Windows updates, Nvidia updates, DX and .Net is up to date. I have a GTX 750ti and 8 GB of RAM on Windows 10 with an i3 4710. I have installed MSI Afterburner and seems like my GPU isn't running too hot although it does go up to around 80 degrees. Any advise? I am now considering re-installing Windows to see if that will help.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
It does sound like an overheating issue. When it crashes, does the system lock up and require a hard reset?
going from 720p to 1080p will definitely put more load on your GPU.
In MSI after burner set your fan to 100% and try stress testing it with uniengine heaven or another GPU intensive test.

Feb 18, 2019
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The system does not lock up. The 1st time i connected the tv the pc did restart constantly but thats not happening anymore. It runs fine now, just game crashes. My fan is set to 100% and i did the stress test, at 1980x1020 it does run to about 83 degrees. I set my max temp to 85 but doesnt change anything.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
83 degrees is hot. Leave the benchmark running to see if it crashes the system, should happen fairly quickly.
From what i know about the 750ti it's boost max temp limit is 80c. So your temps may well be causing the issues.
Does your case have enough airflow? try taking off the side panel and aiming a desk fan into it. See if that helps.

There are several other things you can do to decrease temps beyond more fans in the case or new case.

-undervolting the card.
-decreasing core and to a lesser extent mem frequency

You should be aiming to keep your card under 75C

Feb 18, 2019
Thanks for the advise:)

I am at work now but will try tonight. The PC is getting airflow though the back is close to the wall. I will check, maybe i should clean it and open the side panel to see. Alternatively maybe get an additional fan for the PC? If it persists i will consider getting a new graphics card, i was looking at the GTX 1060 3GB.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019
Thanks for the advise:)

I am at work now but will try tonight. The PC is getting airflow though the back is close to the wall. I will check, maybe i should clean it and open the side panel to see. Alternatively maybe get an additional fan for the PC? If it persists i will consider getting a new graphics card, i was looking at the GTX 1060 3GB.

No problem,

Ideally you want the PC drawing air in the front and out the rear or top. Cleaning may definitely help, get yer duster can ready :p
An extra case fan would also help, keep in mind you want positive pressure in the case ie; more air coming in that being exhausted.
This will help with dust accumulation.

Hopefully you can resolve the issue (y)