Question Game crashing saying GPU driver error

KD266

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello
So long story short i have a very weak processor and a strong graphics card and games keep telling me it crashed due to gpu error
Gtx1050 Ti
Core 2 duo E8200
8 GB Ram
FUJITSU D3011-A1 mobo
300W Power supply stock

Can anyone explain because i just bought the graphic cards
Also im upgrading my whole pc later expect the gpu so im just asking to know if my gpu is problematic

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
Hello
So long story short i have a very weak processor and a strong graphics card and games keep telling me it crashed due to gpu error
Gtx1050 Ti
Core 2 duo E8200
8 GB Ram
FUJITSU D3011-A1 mobo
300W Power supply stock

Can anyone explain because i just bought the graphic cards
Also im upgrading my whole pc later expect the gpu so im just asking to know if my gpu is problematic
Well there's a few things that could be going on but it is entirely possible the issue with your GPU is due to not getting adequate power.and needing a better, more robust PSU.

crashed due to gpu error

What's the exact Error message ? What is the GPU and CPU TEMP value while gaming ? Which OS are you using ?

300W Power supply stock

Make/brand and model number of this PSU ? Do not use any generic/no-name PSU on a gaming GPU. Also, what's the last BIOS version and date of this system ? Check the motherboard manufacturer's website.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
Yeah thats what i thought because the psu is weak and the gpu is seated on a pcie 1.0
I hope the gpu is not problematic
I mean, it's possible that your GPU has an issue but given your PSU it's not the most likely point of complications. Do you have a higher tier wattage PSU you could test with? Regardless you need a better PSU or your risk of damaging components is way higher, thus shortening life span drastically due to fluctuations in power flow. As well as needing more power now you'll also need more later. I reccomend, depending on what you upgrade to, a minimum of 650 watt but 750 or more is ideal. Myself, I always get a 1,000 watt (1 kW) psu as itll last, be stable, and be robust enough for most anything. That's my next component to upgrade in my recommendation. then go from there. Figure out what wattage you need for your end goal and add a minimum of 20-25 % if possible. You always want extra room, not necessarily for future growth but more so for room due to fluctuations in load. more intense loads equals more power draw. Also, all electronics vary in power draw depending on what they are doing as normally you need at least 15% extra available power to be safe over max load's draw.

Last edited:

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
What's the exact Error message ? What is the GPU and CPU TEMP value while gaming ? Which OS are you using ?

Make/brand and model number of this PSU ? Also, what's the last BIOS version and date of this system ? Check the motherboard manufacturer's website.
To piggy back on this, try to update bios and all drivers even if not related to GPU as soon as you can as well. Until you can upgrade PSU this might be another source of issue.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
It seems you're probably only drawing close to 75 watts exclusive to the GPU as per this article. though it may vary. Let's factor this in at 87.5 Watts to be safe.
Your CPU issues close to 60 watts in a typical use case, which we can assume to be between 45-65 % of total maximum with various factors affecting it. See here for data on cpu. So let's say it can pull up to 100 watts to be safe.

That's about a max of almost 200. Factoring in other components and various draw from the motherboard and the PSU itself, fans, and loss due to thermal conversion from the electricity, you know your not quite but also not to far from total usage as you never have the full amount available as advertised. So you might be ok you might not. I reccomend upgrading your PSU to 650 - 1000 watts as your next upgrade or higher if you so desire, but in the meantime reccomend updating BIOS and all drivers, the OS, your games, and then testing it out. There are a few things that could be going on but I'd need more info to pin point. Anyways, the PSU is an issue but it's not as critical as i first thought although it's stillentirely possible it could be the issue depending on what if any overclocking you have going on, your other components and the specific situation of your PSU and a few other factors.

Btw is this psu good in your opinion?
Powertech PT-905 600W

NOPE. Never heard of this PSU brand. Might be some generic/cheap quality power supply. Do not use this on any gaming RIG/PC though. get a power supply from reputed brands. I doubt that PSU can even deliver proper Wattage as advertised.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftech
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
  • EVGA
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggWigg92

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
NOPE. Never heard of this PSU brand. Might be some generic/cheap quality power supply. Do not use this on any gaming RIG/PC though. get a power supply from reputed brands. I doubt that PSU can even deliver proper Wattage as advertised.

PSU is the last component you might want to cheap out on, or skimp. Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough.

Btw, this PSU list is NOT exhaustive, nor 100% accurate though, but at least it gives us some idea about the brand reputation, in the hierarchy list..BUT, make a note though. Despite Seasonic, XFX listed under the "arguably best brands" category by me, they have had pretty poor quality units as well. like the XT series, and SeaSonic S12II Series. There are more exceptions though...

Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies.

PSU brands to never buy from

• Diablotek
  • Chieftech
  • Circle
  • Sharkoon
  • Youngbear
  • Powercool
  • Rocketfish
  • Rave
  • Linkworld
  • Shuttle
  • Skyhawk
  • Foxconn
  • Wintech
  • Winpower
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
  • Raidmax
  • Zalman
  • Diablotek
  • Xilence
  • Tacens
  • iBALL
  • Zebronics.
  • Logisys.

• Average PSU brands (Not deadly but I would avoid them)
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great PSUs, but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
  • FSP.
Arguably the best brands, but that's a slight exaggeration..
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....

I agree with this list 99.9% , with the only change I'd make being moving EVGA to the arguably best brands segment. Keeping in mind there are a few outliers, generally speaking they make great PSU's though if possible sticking to a supernova series with a titanium or platinum rating class is best from them, you should be good if you follow this list. If you've never heard of the brand, sure there's a slight chance they might be good, it's not worth risking your computer to save a few dollars. A cheap quality PSU can destroy high end parts and is the life of your rig. Don't skimp here.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
Crucial generally makes decent ram so you should be ok with it but before considering ram, first consider the motherboard and CPU you want to end with as this determines which ram is ideal for your system.
Also, once you've decided on a CPU and mobo you can decide what size ranks you want as it's better to have two identical sticks in dual channel but if you are limited on funds but want to expand later, it would be best to get one stick twice as large that's compatible and just when you have more money upgrade by getting a second, identical one and putting it in the correct slot for dual channel.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
Ryzen 3 1300X
asus prime B450M-A/CSM
If I'm not mistaken the ddr4-2666 ram modules is the top ones it can support. Might need to check. I know you can overclock them to 3000mhz though. 64 GB is the max capacity and depending on what you're doing 8gb to 16 GB should be ideal. If you can, maybe get a single ddr4-2666 8gb module and when you get more money get another and put it in the 1st and the later module into the 3rd slots respectively. you can then overclock them to either 2800 or 3000 mhz.

BiggWigg92

Honorable
Jun 23, 2017
While that should be great if put in dual channel ranks (i.e. rank 1 &3) I'm not sure if that new mobo will support 3200Mhz ddr4 ram natively. I'll get back to you.
Yes, it can. That's a great starting point and you can always get two more in the future if you'd like for quad channel or for more capacity move those to slots 2 & 4 and put two 8gb but otherwise identical sticks in their original slots. So yes, that's fine, and just put them in slots 1 & 3.

I agree with this list 99.9% , with the only change I'd make being moving EVGA to the arguably best brands segment. Keeping in mind there are a few outliers, generally speaking they make great PSU's though if possible sticking to a supernova series with a titanium or platinum rating class is best from them

Yes, I think you are correct. If we stick to the upper TIER models from EVGA, then those are pretty good though. I thought of shuffling that list a bit more. I've edited my original post though. EVGA does indeed have HIGH quality PSU models. Apart from the Titanium/Platinum series, these are also some pretty decent power supply unit models.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750

Last edited:
Reactions: BiggWigg92