News Game dev adds in-game crash warning for 13th and 14th Gen Intel CPUs — link provides affected owners instructions to mitigate crashes

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Man they sure are hard up about this. Just wining and complaining with no stated effort on troubleshooting. They have released no helpful information at all. Just found a common detail and created assumptions based on correlation to blame all crashes with their game that happens on an Intel processor on this mysterious problem that is now the cause for all crashes with no further questions asked.

Would be funny if they discover all they need to do is revert back to using a version of Unreal engine before March/April and it works just fine.

Reactions: KyaraM
Man they sure are hard up about this. Just wining and complaining with no stated effort on troubleshooting. They have released no helpful information at all. Just found a common detail and created assumptions based on correlation to blame all crashes with their game that happens on an Intel processor on this mysterious problem that is now the cause for all crashes with no further questions asked.

Would be funny if they discover all they need to do is revert back to using a version of Unreal engine before March/April and it works just fine.
Imagine having ones head so far up ones.....

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Imagine having ones head so far up ones.....

Haha… I know right? Imagine…

Anyway, my comment was strictly regarding this developer that’s clearly riding the hype wave (along with everyone else who wants to blame any game crash on a single underlying problem). That doesn’t mean there isn’t a known underlying problem for some or most of the crashes. Intel has stated that they’ve found something, but they sure seem hesitant to call it a sure fix. And it clearly isn’t affecting all (100%) of Intel CPUs or you wouldn’t just be hearing/reading about it.

Links to articles simply parroting every other tech news outlet that have been reposting Intel’s statements with some pizazz thrown in aren’t an excuse for this developer’s clearly self-serving behavior.

Reactions: KyaraM
Haha… I know right? Imagine…

Anyway, my comment was strictly regarding this developer that’s clearly riding the hype wave (along with everyone else who wants to blame any game crash on a single underlying problem). That doesn’t mean there isn’t a known underlying problem for some or most of the crashes. Intel has stated that they’ve found something, but they sure seem hesitant to call it a sure fix. And it clearly isn’t affecting all (100%) of Intel CPUs or you wouldn’t just be hearing/reading about it.

Links to articles simply parroting every other tech news outlet that have been reposting Intel’s statements with some pizazz thrown in aren’t an excuse for this developer’s clearly self-serving behavior.
Fair point, this particular dev is making a lot of noise. I won't argue the point of "Any attention is good attention" but don't forget some of us have skin in the game. Myself it's borderline whatever. I didn't spend enough disposable income to be more than strongly annoyed about this. But put yourself in the shoes of those who scrimped and saved real, needed monies to purchase a system on the bleeding edge just to have this happen. It may not mean much to you or me, but to them it's a big &%$*ing deal. Be courteous please. Real people are at the other end of your frivolous comments. I say this as someone who enjoys some good internet snark.

Reactions: Thunder64

Mattzun

Commendable
Oct 7, 2021
Assuming they are checking that the crash is one of the errors associated with defective CPUs, the replace your CPU error message seems helpful
Most people just want to game and aren’t following tech news.

NVidia should really do the same thing for out of memory errors on 4080/4090.
They already have their blame intel web page.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador

Blastomonas

Great
Oct 18, 2023
Surprised that more of a big deal isn't being made of this. If this is permanently damaging cpu's, shouldn't there be a recall?

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
No link to the fixes or am I blind?
Most likely you're not blind, but there is perhaps a cognitive problem.

The dialog box asks if the user want to be linked and asks the user a Yes/No question.

Bro, they are no "fixes" yet.. You can mitigate it through by reducing speeds and undervolting. Not sure what rock you been under but the supossed fix is out mid August.
Clearly the message box asks the user about being brought to a link, so while no fix from Intel the game dev obviously has some ideas ie. a fix for the game.

That's already out-of-date. There's been a leaked memo that indicates Intel still isn't sure it really found the one-and-only true root cause.
Ya, I only linked the Ars article to legitimize the complaint. It was open in another tab so there it is. As for the never-ending saga that is Raptor Lake.....oof. I just hope Intel comes out with something more concrete, but they know that 99.9% of its consumers will never know about this. They'll only know that something is wrong with their machine and Dell/Lenovo/Asus/Acer et al will deal with it. Intel will then send monies to those entities to settle warranty claims, hoping they'll get denied or overlooked etc by said entities. I've lost all faith in most corporations, AMD's response last year to the 7000 series eruptions was surprising, and welcome.

Reactions: bit_user
Jul 27, 2024
Matt from Alderon Games Here:

Just want to add a correction that this screenshot isn't from our game 'Path of Titans'. While we are adding a message to our game that's very similar this isn't from our game.