News Game dev shows how to do a PC port right, outlines 106 to 314 fps improvement without frame generation

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
106 base fps?! Get off your high horse sir lol! This is 2024! We have this incredibly advanced tech in 2024 that renders the game in 720p then upscales it to 1080p, adds fake frames on top, then with a $500 1080p focused 4060 ti GPU, God willing you may get 60 FPS. 106 base fps? Optimization? What am I even reading here?!
Now be a good boy for the corporate billionaires and go praise the Nvidia and bend over further, sell the remaining kidney for the incoming 5090 so you can enjoy the mind blowing "Ray Tracing" technology :)

That's the reason why PC gaming is DEAD in 2024 IMO.

Nvidia introduced that single click Ray Tracing layer that make developers not optimizing or creating their light effects. Not only that, but they are not optimizing their games because upscaling is available.

At this point, just buy a console. No point in buying a gaming PC to play at 810p with RT in a game like Wukong on a 4090.

DingusDog

Commendable
Apr 12, 2022
That's the reason why PC gaming is DEAD in 2024 IMO.

Nvidia introduced that single click Ray Tracing layer that make developers not optimizing or creating their light effects. Not only that, but they are not optimizing their games because upscaling is available.

At this point, just buy a console. No point in buying a gaming PC to play at 810p with RT in a game like Wukong on a 4090.
pC gAmiNg iS dEaD

Dec 20, 2023
Nvidia is the one to blame for this as they basically told developers (indirectly) that they do not need to optimize and that Nvidia will pick up the slack with its Ray Tracing and Frame Gen. The problem is that you need to spend big bucks buying an Nvidia card and that is what they bank on, and that leave AMD behind because pure rasterization does not compute with under optimized games. Devs need to pick up their socks and start actually optimizing games so everyone can enjoy them not just Nvidia snobs. This is also why AMD is letting devs use the open source dev software so that games can actually be better optimized for AMD GPUs.

But this takes effort and technical expertise, so most devs aren't going to do this level of optimization.
no its called Devs either dont want to optimize game and just rely on dlss/framegen (which was meant to HELP optimized games run better on lower hardware machines) and just force high requirements to bruteforce running at usable framerates.

Nvidia making the tool was THE reason game optimizing is no longer a thing by the industry.

circadia

Prominent
Nov 11, 2022
And Nvidia caused that death!
...you don't realize the sarcasm?
anyway, it boggles me why you and the other guy think PC gaming is "dead". Do you only play modern triple-A stuff? If yes, please go through the entirety of Half-Life, Portal, Skyrim, Fallout, etc... series then come back here, thanks.

Said every year, for the last 20 years.
definitely.

and still i get 20+ customers, out of maybe 50 in total, every year asking for help with a new system because they want to get into PC gaming for the first time in their 30+ years of gaming.

and every die hard consoler that i've known since the late 90s still touts PC gaming as the "big brother" of the industry.

and if it was "dead", Sony wouldn't be putting so much into bringing their catalogue to PC.
and there wouldn't be hundreds of huge selling indie games coming out every year.

Mama Changa

Great
Sep 4, 2024
Nvidia is the one to blame for this as they basically told developers (indirectly) that they do not need to optimize and that Nvidia will pick up the slack with its Ray Tracing and Frame Gen. The problem is that you need to spend big bucks buying an Nvidia card and that is what they bank on, and that leave AMD behind because pure rasterization does not compute with under optimized games. Devs need to pick up their socks and start actually optimizing games so everyone can enjoy them not just Nvidia snobs. This is also why AMD is letting devs use the open source dev software so that games can actually be better optimized for AMD GPUs.
Of course the game devs don't have to be such lazy <Mod Edit> and could ignore Huang and put their customers first.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 'PC gaming is dead' comments come back. Please stop, the truth is staring you in the face, or you're choosing to look away or wear jet-black shades while saying it's dead.

We have this incredibly advanced tech in 2024 that renders the game in 720p then upscales it to 1080p, adds fake frames on top, then with a $500 1080p focused 4060 ti GPU, God willing you may get 60 FPS. 106 base fps? Optimization? What am I even reading here?!
Sounds like a bandaid/patch...

MVP: Minimum Viable Product. More and more gamers have become accustomed to eating this crap, so where's the incentive for publishers/devs to stop? A [insert favorite flavor here] covered turd is still a turd.
As newcomers join this hobby, they grow up into MVPs being the norm, and the older groups get flushed out... This is currently in progress.

A publisher/dev having their own beta testers is less of a thing. More often, it's the customer paying to beta test.
Preordering digital copies? Why? They're not going to sell out... or perhaps it's the overpriced shiny goods on offer...
So many studios do crunch time too - which isn't healthy - still deliver crap, and people(SOME) still eat it up.
This isn't entirely the fault of a single group. I'd take that spiderman pointing meme, add 2 more spideymen and type on each:
publisher/devs, gamers, investors, and tech companies(i.e., Nvidia).

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
All optimizations are welcomed. Who wants to pay for a pay for a license not to own your game that is unoptimized that you have to brute force just to play with subjectively playable shader compilation stutterers 🤪!

Said every year, for the last 20 years.
Console gaming revenue is surpassing PC gaming revenue and now PC gaming is an unoptimized mess.

I cannot recommend a gaming PC to anyone anymore. If you want to be the fool to do so, then just keep in mind that the PS5 Pro cost 700$ and match a 1500$ gaming PC in performance, while offering better optimization.

Yeah, it is frigging dead when a matching GPU in performance cost the same as a whole console.

Last edited:
...you don't realize the sarcasm?
anyway, it boggles me why you and the other guy think PC gaming is "dead". Do you only play modern triple-A stuff? If yes, please go through the entirety of Half-Life, Portal, Skyrim, Fallout, etc... series then come back here, thanks.
If I want to play a mobile game, I would play a mobile game on my phone.

PC gaming has always been a niche because the fidelity was unmatched. It is not the case anymore because nowadays games are an unoptimized mess. You will end up having a better experience on a high end console.

I have a 7900XTX and I can frigging admit that PC gaming is now a joke.

If you cannot play at 2160p with a 4080, a 4090 or an XTX, you know there is a problem. Thanks to Nvidia crusade about Ray Tracing that brought nothing but crippling performances and breaking optimization in PC games.

If you want to brag about RT, then why is God of War Ragnarok the best looking game to date while not supporting it?

Yeah PC gaming is doing well when a 4090 is retailing for 1800$ and only offering you 1080p at 30 FPS with RT in 2024.

mg127

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
No, PC gaming is not dead. it's only AAA that's failing. below AA and Indy scene is more alive than ever before. But ofc for those games you don't need a high-end card. Games with a good mod support are a standard for success too. And you rarely get any mod support on consoles. Most people with a high-end GPU don't even use it for gaming, they use it for rendering and AI creation.

this developer I would support the game by buying if I liked this type of game, final fantasy is an example of a game I may borrow from a pirate source to play, as just thrown out from a console port, with no real regards for the players experience and at a stupid price, this is the real reason piracy still exists.

TheHerald

Notable
Feb 15, 2024
The usual anti nvidia armada. How surprising. Meanwhile in reality all these games are consoles ports and they run like crap there as well. Consoles don't have fg or an nvidia card they have amd gpus. In case you didn't know.

sfjuocekr

Prominent
Jan 19, 2023
Gamers that use the word "optimize" don't know what they are talking about and sadly most developers these days also do not understand what optimizations one could do.

I still see game developers use small values in big registers without concatenation, loops in UI elements, blocking code and other atrocities.

"Just use Unreal" right?