[SOLVED] Game doesn't run well when it used to

NocturneOfSolace

Prominent
Feb 12, 2021
So I've been trying to play Prey recently on my laptop, which it used to run just perfectly. I easily meet the recommended specs and over with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050, 8GB RAM, an i5 7300 HQ.

I've gone through and fixed my laptop to have high performance for it's power saving plan, set in graphics settings to force using the dedicated GPU for the game itself, and in the Nvidia Control Panel have told the computer as a whole to use the dedicated GPU(mixed results on that, I've yet to be able to force my laptop to only use the dedicated as opposed to the integrated).

I've done disk cleanup, optimized the HDD, cleaned the laptops insides out to prevent overheating to the best I can.

And yet, the FPS on Prey, even on lowest settings are choking constantly. For contrast this laptop can run Doom Eternal just fine on the whole.

It is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming by the way

I'm at a loss as to what else I can do to fix this so I can enjoy my game

Solution
Right, that is your power management for your GPU processor. Since yours is a laptop, it allows you to set whether to allow the GPU to use more power for performance or to conserve battery.

As for why your laptop isn't running as well as it used to, I would mention my previous reply that its likely to do with your deteriorating SSD or HDD.

Try to also upgrade your RAM to 16GB when you have the chance to do so.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
  • Have you try reinstalling or updating driver. Install Nvidia GeForce Experience if your laptop doesn't have it.
  • Updated Window OS?
  • Run a UserBenchmark to see what hardware is pulling your performance back. Upload URL link of result if you want.
  • Your RAM seems to be a bit on the low end for modern AAA games, consider upgrading to 16 GB for dual channel?

NocturneOfSolace

Prominent
Feb 12, 2021
  • Have you try reinstalling or updating driver. Install Nvidia GeForce Experience if your laptop doesn't have it.
  • Updated Window OS?
  • Run a UserBenchmark to see what hardware is pulling your performance back. Upload URL link of result if you want.
  • Your RAM seems to be a bit on the low end for modern AAA games, consider upgrading to 16 GB for dual channel?

1. Ah yes

2. Yes

3. I was not aware of this, can it be found easily via google?

4. At this time that is not possible

NocturneOfSolace

Prominent
Feb 12, 2021
UserBenchmarks: Game 19%, Desk 76%, Work 14%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 75.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 (Mobile) - 24.8%
HDD: Toshiba Notebook SSHD 2.5" 1TB - 49.5%
RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH 1x8GB - 41.5%
MBD: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
UserBenchmarks: Game 19%, Desk 76%, Work 14%
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 75.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 (Mobile) - 24.8%
HDD: Toshiba Notebook SSHD 2.5" 1TB - 49.5%
RAM: Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH 1x8GB - 41.5%
MBD: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming
From this information, I could somewhat (not guaranteed) confirm that your SSD and RAM may be what is slowing your laptop down. Sometimes, HDD and SSD deteriorate overtime, although such deterioration varies but its often linked to the lifetime of it.

So perhaps consider add another 8GB to your laptop for dual channel (can speed it up a lot) and switch for a new SSD.

Also what do you mean by this:

in the Nvidia Control Panel have told the computer as a whole to use the dedicated GPU(mixed results on that, I've yet to be able to force my laptop to only use the dedicated as opposed to the integrated).

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Right, that is your power management for your GPU processor. Since yours is a laptop, it allows you to set whether to allow the GPU to use more power for performance or to conserve battery.

As for why your laptop isn't running as well as it used to, I would mention my previous reply that its likely to do with your deteriorating SSD or HDD.

Try to also upgrade your RAM to 16GB when you have the chance to do so.

Solution