News Game File Sizes on PlayStation 5 Are 60% Smaller Thanks To Crazy Compression Tech

Heat_Fan89

Prominent
Jul 13, 2020
That's impressive but Microsoft was doing something similar during the XBOX 360 days when Sony had the BR drive and Microsoft had to massively compress a game on a single HD-DVD. Now it seems it's Sony's turn.

Giroro

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
That's impressive but Microsoft was doing something similar during the XBOX 360 days when Sony had the BR drive and Microsoft had to massively compress a game on a single HD-DVD. Now it seems it's Sony's turn.
Xbox 360 only had a DVD drive. The external HD DVD player couldn't be used for games.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
Apr 24, 2021
Not every game will compress as well as Subnautica, but certainly this is impressive to see in action.

Yes it uses CPU but the PS5 has so many cores it can afford to dedicate an entire core just to compression.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
This just means the system has to use more resources to uncompress (or process) the game somewhere down the line, right?
Sony implemented Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture in conjunction with a custom I/O unit. Namely there is a Kraken decompressor in it specifically to deal with this. So while technically speaking it uses more resources, it is also allocated a specific resource to do the decompression. I think I read somewhere that the decompressor performs like 9 Zen 2 cores or something like that.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

watzupken

Commendable
Mar 16, 2020
With each method, there's pros and cons. Compressing takes up less space, but uses more resources to unpack. In games where CPU is not the limitation, there should be minimal impact. But for games where its CPU intensive, then there may be some performance penalty.

ASK THE COMMUNITY