News Game File Sizes on PlayStation 5 Are 60% Smaller Thanks To Crazy Compression Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
That's impressive but Microsoft was doing something similar during the XBOX 360 days when Sony had the BR drive and Microsoft had to massively compress a game on a single HD-DVD. Now it seems it's Sony's turn.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Not every game will compress as well as Subnautica, but certainly this is impressive to see in action.

Yes it uses CPU but the PS5 has so many cores it can afford to dedicate an entire core just to compression.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
This just means the system has to use more resources to uncompress (or process) the game somewhere down the line, right?

Sony implemented Oodle Kraken and Oodle Texture in conjunction with a custom I/O unit. Namely there is a Kraken decompressor in it specifically to deal with this. So while technically speaking it uses more resources, it is also allocated a specific resource to do the decompression. I think I read somewhere that the decompressor performs like 9 Zen 2 cores or something like that.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
With each method, there's pros and cons. Compressing takes up less space, but uses more resources to unpack. In games where CPU is not the limitation, there should be minimal impact. But for games where its CPU intensive, then there may be some performance penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.