Question Game FPS drops over time to unplayable

Melodyazzz

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Hi guys, i have game problem here. My FPS drops the longer the game goes/ the FPS drops over time.
The game effected:
Hearthstone: 60 FPS at first, after 3 matches (around 20 minutes) FPS drops to <30 and become unplayable. Re-open the game, solve this, but i have to keep re-opening the game every 20 minutes.
Final Fantasy XIV: 60 FPS at first, but FPS drops to 20-30 in split second and back to 60 FPS again.

I tried playing WoW some other game and the FPS is constant at 60

My question is it possible that the problem is in my GPU here?

Info:
CPU: i5 - 4690K
Resolution: 4k (60hz)
GPU: Aorus GTX 1080TI Extreme

I did a 3D Fire Strike and my score is around 16000

Steps i have taken so far:
  1. Uninstall NVIDIA using DDU and fresh install
  2. Update to latest NVIDIA
  3. Disable Physx and everything else except the driver

I purchase the GPU as used from someone else and it has minor overclock before. But there is no issue around 3 months after i purchase. Could OC is the issue ?

Hope can someone help.

Hello,

Which POWER SUPPLY unit are you using to power up the 1080 Ti ? List the model number. Have you tried changing some power management settings as well ? It can be done via Windows OS, or under NVCP/"Prefer Maximum Performance", or by changing the 'PCI-e Link State Power Management' option, if need be.

This issue could also be related to the specific game titles you are trying to play, if WOW and other games run perfectly fine on your system. Are you using Windows 10 OS ?

Is CPU CORE parking enabled or disabled ?

Last edited:

Melodyazzz

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Hi Guys, appreciate the response.

I test this number below with Hearthstone game only:
On Idle,
GPU is around 40-46 Celcius
CPU is around 40 Celcius

When gaming,
GPU is around 55-60 C
CPU is around 60 C

Power Supply: Seasonic 850W (80 Plus Gold) --> is this okay?

Yes, i have tinker around the 'PCI-e Link State Power Management' but the issue still happens.
Im not sure how to check if the CPU core parking.

But the thing is, the issue only affecting heavily on Hearthstone game only. Do i really need to check/swap with other GPU? I got a feeling that the overclocking from previous owner causing this.

But the thing is, the issue only affecting heavily on Hearthstone game only. Do i really need to check/swap with other GPU? I got a feeling that the overclocking from previous owner causing this.

Nope, if that's the ONLY game title getting affected by this FPS drop ('HearthStone'), then I don't think you would be requiring a new/different GPU. Because, this seems more like a game and/or a GPU driver compatibility issue, IMO.

Though, if you already have any spare GPU to test this out, then you can swap your current video card to test the said game. But if all other games are running fine, then I don't think the issue lies within your system, and the previous Overclocking/OC also should not be causing any problem, IMO.

Your GPU TEMPs are pretty much fine. If your issue was widespread, affecting all other games as well, then we can assume there is some problem with your PC. Else, I won't jump on this conclusion now.

Last edited:

Melodyazzz

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Yup, that PSU is indeed fine. I assume it's one of the Focus Plus Gold Models, which falls under top tier list of PSUs ?
Yes I believe so, its been around 5 years i have this and no issue so far.

Its just around 6 months ago i switched to 1080ti and it was fine for about 3 months, and this weird fps drops start to happen occasionally.

I also been searching and some advice said that it could be PSU problem. but seeing that my CPU and GPU temperature seems normal, PSU is not the issue here.
So it left with CPU and GPU, but then again, its just this 2 particular game so far. WoW is working fine.

I could try to swap out GPU...but is it really worth it. Argh, im thorn.